A different dining option for Friday

• On Fridays during Lent, the Lunda room, located in the Alumni Memorial Union, offers an all-you-can-eat fish fry for all university students and faculty members.
  • The fish fry runs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and costs $9.50. (Dining Dollars and Marquette Cash are accepted.)
  • The all-you-can-eat buffet-style fish fry offers baked cod, fried cod, potatoes, carrots, bread and six different types of cold salads.

If you're tired of eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or tuna on Ritz crackers every Friday during Lent, there's another option – a Milwaukee fish fry right on campus.

The Lunda Room, located on the second floor of the Alumni Memorial Union, holds an all-you-can-eat fish fry every Friday throughout Lent from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for all university students and faculty.

According to Deneen Thorsen, the catering supervisor for university dining services, this Marquette Lenten tradition began when the Lunda Room, and the AMU, first opened in 1990.

Thorsen said this year's Friday fish fries have been significantly busier than in years past because students are now able to use Dining Dollars, which come with all university meal plans, to pay the $9.50 tab for the all-you-can-eat buffet.

"The Dining Dollars option is perfect for them," Thorsen said. "The vast majority of students who come here either use Dining Dollars or Marquette Cash."

Robert Mochel, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences and student manager for the Lunda Room, said an average of 70 to 90 people frequent the Lunda Room for the fish fry on Fridays during Lent. On a busy day, the number can exceed 100.

During an average weekday lunch, the Lunda Room serves 30 to 40 diners.

"Friday is usually our busiest day," Mochel said. "The majority of people are faculty members, but we always have a few students who come."

The Lunda Room's fish fry buffet offers baked cod, fried cod, carrots, potatoes, bread and a variety of salads.

"Honestly, I think it's a very good fish fry," Mochel said. "There's a lot of variety between the baked fish and fried fish, and we always have at least six different kinds of cold salads.

"And it's all-you-can-eat, so I would say it's a good value for the price," Mochel said.

But if students' Dining Dollars or Marquette Cash funds are running low, the Lunda Room isn't the only spot on campus serving Lenten specialties on Friday, according to Monica Heminger, the marketing manager for university dining services.

The Union Sports Annex serves beer-battered cod sandwiches, shrimp baskets and New England clam chowder. In addition, Marquette Place in the AMU, Brew Cafes and residence hall dining rooms all serve Lenten specials for lunch and dinner every Friday during Lent, Heminger said.