Stations of the Cross hit the Web

• The Stations of the Cross are an important Lenten tradition in Catholicism.
  • The Stations are now available online.
  • Online versions of the devotion are more convenient.

Although following the Stations of the Cross online may have its advantages, some students do not think this can replace physical stations.

This traditional Lenten meditation focuses on 14 stages of Christ's Passion. The Stations of the Cross can be found on the Web sites of Campus Ministry and Gesu Church, along with many others.

var uslide_show_id = "a3cb2594-0352-44cf-979b-a758cb244c1b";var slideshowwidth = "300";var linktext = "";

Both Web sites have the liturgy written out with the accompanying images of each station. Campus Ministry's Web site has a video version available as well as a slideshow linking social justice to the stations.

"To me, they're like a pilgrimage through Christ's Passion, death, and resurrection," said Emily LaLoggia, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Most of us will never be able to go to Jerusalem and walk the path Jesus walked, she said. The Stations are a great way to spiritually walk that path, LaLoggia said.

"During Lent we're called to meditate on Christ's suffering and that's exactly what it's for," she said.

The Stations can also be prayed outside of Lent as well, LaLoggia said.

The Stations are a version of prayer and imaginative exercise, according to Creighton University's Online Ministry Web site.

"Journeying with Jesus in the Stations, allows us to imagine his entry into the experience of those who are tortured, unjustly accused or victimized, sitting on death row, carrying impossible burdens, facing terminal illnesses, or simply fatigued with life," according to the Web site.

Every year, Marquette's Campus Ministry puts Lenten resources online, said Emily Schumacher, Manresa intern. Since the Stations are popular during Lent, it only made sense to put them up as well, she said.

Students today are very digitally in touch, which is why the Stations are now online, Schumacher said.

LaLoggia said she thought doing the Stations online was cool but also distracting. She said she does not usually think of being on the computer as a spiritual act because she usually uses it for Facebook or to do homework.

It is hard to switch into that spiritual mentality, but it is possible, LaLoggia said.

David Kruse, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said online Stations engage a different part of meditation.

The advantage of having the Stations online is that you can do it whenever and wherever it is convenient, said Mike Tedone, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

You can print it out and do it in your room or bring it to church and walk the physical Stations outside of a traditional service, he said.

You can do them at the library, in the Alumni Memorial Union, or during class, Kruse said.

Although online Stations of the Cross are convenient, physical stations still have their advantages.

"We're physical people, we need our senses to be engaged," LaLoggia said. "It is good to see the images and physically walk with Christ."

LaLoggia said praying the Stations in a church is more meaningful for her. However, she said doing it online does not lack meaning.

"(Both ways are) only as meaningful as the person wants it to be," Tedone said.

Schumacher said she does not think online versions of the Stations of the Cross will ever replace the traditional methods because the traditional Stations are a good communal activity.

Doing the Stations communally and individually are both important, LaLoggia said.

"As long as there are Catholic churches, there will be physical Stations of the Cross," Kruse said.