STAFF EDITORIAL: Give seniors their diplomas

A diploma doesn't look like much. It's a piece of paper with a name and a signature. But for graduating seniors, a diploma symbolizes hours of studying and more than $100,000 in tuition. It would be a shame if this year's seniors were to walk away from their graduation ceremonies with an empty diploma folder. But if Provost John Pauly signs a proposal passed by the Academic Senate this week, seniors may very well receive their diplomas in the mail. We urge Pauly to veto the proposal.

The proposal extends the grading period for professors from the Monday after final exams to the Tuesday after final exams. The Academic Senate claims the change would be beneficial, as "students would receive the individual attention to their finals that they deserve," said Edward Fallone, an associate professor in the Law School and Senate member.

Delaying the release of final grades by one day doesn't make much of a difference in the lives of underclassmen. But for graduates, that day makes all the difference, because the extension would likely change the university's policy of handing out diplomas on graduation day. Instead, students would receive just their diploma folder on May 17. The actual degrees would arrive in the mail later.

According to Fallone, the majority of universities mail out diplomas after graduation. The proposal, he said, is about altering tradition to the benefit of students and professors. But this tradition is important, especially to seniors. It's graduation day! Students should receive a real diploma when they walk across the stage.

In the Senate, only two colleges — Arts & Sciences and Nursing — voted for the proposal. The College of Engineering voted against, and the remaining colleges abstained. The colleges abstained because while they wouldn't benefit from an extended grading period, they believe students and professors in other disciplines might. If the majority of the university's colleges don't have an opinion on the issue, the provost should make a decision for whom the issue matters most — students.

We hope Pauly sends this idea back to the drawing board where it can be fleshed out more fully. A compromise between extending the grading period and getting diplomas out on time can surely be made. Perhaps professors could expedite the final grades of graduating seniors, so those students could receive their diplomas on graduation day. The extra day could be used to grade underclassmen's finals.

We understand the Academic Senate's desire to ease semester-end pressure on professors. But the Senate seems to have forgotten the importance of a diploma on graduation day. We ask Pauly to recall his own graduation and the sense of pride he felt as he held tangible evidence of his achievement in his hands. Provost Pauly, do not deprive your students of that same feeling of accomplishment.