mbball brief DO NOT POST

The Golden Eagles landed the No. 6 seed in the West region after losing to Villanova in the final second of their Big East Championship quarterfinal game.,”The Marquette men's basketball team will be traveling to Boise, Idaho for its first-round NCAA Tournament match-up against Utah State.

The Golden Eagles landed the No. 6 seed in the West region after losing to Villanova in the final second of their Big East Championship quarterfinal game.

Marquette, the No. 5 seed in the Big East Championship, faced a hot St. John's team Wednesday. The No. 13-seeded Red Storm took down Georgetown for the second time this season to advance to the second round where they proved overmatched against the Golden Eagles.

In an impressive 74-45 rout, Marquette appeared to regain much of the confidence that had faded since losing senior guard Dominic James (foot injury) for the season.

The win set Marquette up to face then (NEED THE THEN? I DONT THINK SO) No. 4-seeded Villanova Wildcats Thursday. Villanova led by as much as 17 in the first half, but the Golden Eagles slowly and methodically clawed their way back, taking the lead with 1:40 left to play. But Villanova's Dwayne Anderson turned in the game-winner after finding an opening behind the Marquette defense as time expired.

The Golden Eagles begin Tournament play Friday at 11:30 a.m.