The lighter side of sports

After losing stars Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut to season-ending injuries, the Milwaukee Bucks figured it couldn't get any worse for them. Naturally, it did. "Bango," the Bucks' mascot, was injured in hilarious fashion over the NBA All-Star Weekend.

It all started when Bango decided to climb onto the top of the backboard for a closer inspection of the halfcourt shot contest some of the other mascots were having. See, that was his mistake right there. As a boy, my grandfather told me: "Eric, you'll want to get as close as possible to watch the mascots, but don't go climbing up on the backboard. You could fall and rupture an organ." It's advice I live by everyday.

As Bango climbed over the glass to stand on the rim, Charlotte mascot Rufus Lynx simultaneously released a shot that went a little strong. It struck Bango in a very unlucky area, then unbelievably went in. I'm told Bob Saget is preparing the $10,000 prize money already.

Bango then slipped and fell through the hoop one leg at a time and landed hard, in a scene that would make anyone cringe. He's got a torn ACL in his hoof and will be out a few weeks.

Take notice, Golden Eagle! Learn from your colleague's mistake. The next time you want to jump off of a trampoline with your flaming motorcycle, or some other dangerous stunt, remember: safety first. Just put on a helmet or something. We need you for March Madness.