Big East Notebook: Women

There are some incomparable statistics in college basketball history.

There's Pete Maravich's career scoring average of 44.2 points per game, UCLA's 88-game win streak and Pat Summit topping 1,000 career wins. And then there's this – the Connecticut Huskies posting a win margin of 32 points per game. But the numbers game doesn't stop there.

After Connecticut dismantled Providence 75-39 and then topped Notre Dame 76-66 in a rare close game, the Big East super power pushed its record to 27-0. The Huskies have been riding the high octane scoring of their trio of stars, Maya Moore, Renee Montgomery and Tina Charles.

With nine of their victories coming by 40 points or more, Connecticut has been the harbinger of blowouts in college basketball.

Sitting in the poll position

For the first time all season, Villanova is starting to grab the attention of the leagues of sports writers who run the voting committees.

The surprising Wildcats sputtered out of the gates, but have been climbing up the Big East standings ever since. Receiving votes from the ESPN and USA Today Polls last week, Villanova is proving yet again why the Big East is the deepest, most talented conference in the country.

Led by the versatile play of senior forward Laura Kurz, Villanova has become a force to be reckoned with and should not be taken lightly by the forces of women's college hoops.

Going streaking

Taking a page from baseball great Cal Ripken Jr., Connecticut's Renee Montgomery has become college hoops' Iron Woman.

The workhorse has played in 127 consecutive games for the No. 1 team in the nation, which is the most of any player in women's basketball. Montgomery also has the most career starts (134) of any player in the country.

The diminutive guard has showed grit and strength well beyond her small stature and has been the heart of the Huskies during their historic season. She is averaging 16.5 ppg and leads the team in assists.

Player of the week

Some teams have a great duo like Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen. Some have a three-headed monster like the Boston Celtics. But the Connecticut Huskies are like a Hydra of talent, with solid production coming from just about everywhere.

Three of the heads, however, do stand a little taller. Montgomery, Tina Charles and Maya Moore need to be honored for the perfect season they have brought the basketball community.

The Huskies have had five players in double-digit scoring for a game 11 times this season, led by the trio who averages 16.5, 16.0 and 19.6 ppg, respectively. Last week they pushed Connecticut to a 95-point effort against No. 19 Pittsburgh. It was the most a team had scored against the Panthers all year.

Game of the week

Pittsburgh at Louisville,

Feb. 28 2 p.m.

Forget game of the week, this might be the Big East's game of the year. Pitting the No. 8 Cardinals against the No. 15 Panthers would be exciting enough, but the hype for this game doesn't stop there.

Louisville's Angel McCoughtry and Pittsburgh's Shavonte Zellous are two of the nation's premier players and might even match up against each other in a "Clash of the Titans" kind of moment.

The game also has major Big East conference implications, with Louisville sitting in second place with a 12-2 record and Pittsburgh right by them at 10-3. If there ever was a time to pop your popcorn and set your TiVo, it's now.