Men’s tennis rolls over Eastern Illinois, South Dakota State

The victories, Marquette's first home matches this month, improve the team's record to 7-3. Coach Steve Rodecap said he was pleased with the team's focus throughout the day.,”The Marquette men's tennis team dominated in today's double header, defeating both Eastern Illinois and South Dakota State 7-0.

The victories, Marquette's first home matches this month, improve the team's record to 7-3. Coach Steve Rodecap said he was pleased with the team's focus throughout the day.

"Anytime you play two matches it can be difficult," Rodecap said. "You're asking the guys to concentrate for up to six hours and that's not always easy to do. I felt like our guys did a very good job of that today."

Marquette dropped only one match on the day, an 8-7 decision at No. 1 singles against Eastern Illinois. The Golden Eagles did not drop a set in singles play against the Panthers, securing the 7-0 win.

In the day's second match, Marquette swept the Jackrabbits in doubles play and did not forfeit more than two games in any singles set.

Marquette's three freshman all saw action in singles play. Jonathan Schwerin and Drake Kakar posted two singles victories on the day and J.T. Christian notched a singles win against South Dakota State.

Schwerin, in the No. 3 singles slot versus Easter Illinois, dropped the first three games of the match but rallied to win 6-3, 7-5. He said the turn around was a matter of concentration.

"Those first three games I just let slip," Schwerin said. "I just wasn't thinking out there. After that I started to get motivated and I took it to him."

Rodecap said he was impressed with the three youngsters' performances.

"I think our three freshman contributed in a big way today," he said. "That's important for us to be good, we have to count on our young guys and continue to see those guys develop and get better. That's what this program is built on, having guys come in and continue to get better."

Marquette trotted out a revamped doubles lineup in the matches. Junior Dusan Medan and Senior Mark Rutherford teamed up for the first time, earning a 8-0 victory at the No. 2 slot against Eastern Illinois and an 8-3 at No. 1 doubles versus SDSU.

Medan said he focused on keeping the pressure high in both matches.

"As a team we thought we outmatched them, but it was important to come out and take care of business from the first point," Medan said.

Next up for the Golden Eagles is IPFW (Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne) next Sunday at 3 pm at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium.