The lighter side of sports

After the week Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez endured when he admitted to taking steroids a few years ago, you'd figure he'd want to spend a quiet weekend at home out of the public eye, right?

Wrong.,”Every so often you'll hear something you can't even fully grasp. We're talking dog-turning-its-head-to-the-side level of "what?"

Wrong.

The excellent timing of the year award goes to the Miami Hurricanes, who celebrated the renaming of "Alex Rodriguez Park" this past weekend.

"I think the people who are coming here tonight are going to be positive, or they wouldn't be here," Miami baseball coach Jim Morris said of the event's scrutiny.

Positive like A-Rod's steroid test, right coach? That's right, kids. Take steroids and get stadiums named after you.

Here's my favorite part: A-Rod never even played for Miami. He's from the area but went straight to the majors and never suited up for a single inning.

I think Marquette should follow Miami's example and rename some of its buildings. Imagine the men's and women's basketball teams having practice at the Latrell Sprewell Center. Slippery floors there, so watch your neck.

But why stop there? How about seeing a play at the Kato Kaelin Theater? Or attend class at the Jeffrey Dahmer Hall for Behavioral Sciences?

Makes just as much sense.