Catholic Church to bring back indulgences

When it comes to indulgences, the Roman Catholic Church is bringing them back.

Indulgences are being discussed more within the Catholic Church with the use of the Internet and other media, said Julie Wolf, communications director for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.

The practice of selling indulgences was abolished in the 1567 by Pope Pius V, but they have remained a part of the Catholic theology, according to Encyclopedia Britannica.

"An indulgence is the remission before God of temporal punishment for sins whose guilt is already forgiven," according to Canon 992 of the Catholic Church's Code of Canon Law.

Catholics believe they must be purged of things that are not love, which includes sins that have already been forgiven, explained Steve Blaha, assistant director of Campus Ministry. This happens either through indulgences on earth or in purgatory.

"Primarily, it's about healing, transformation and growing in life in Christ," Blaha said.

Before an indulgence can be gained, opportunities for indulgences must be announced, Blaha said.

The Archdiocese of Milwaukee announced that plenary indulgences can be gained during the year of St. Paul. The necessary indulgence action is to participate in a mass or other activity honoring St. Paul.

The Pauline year celebrates the 2000th anniversary of the birth of St. Paul. The Pauline year ends on June 29.

No St. Paul activities are currently scheduled on campus, although Campus Renew will tap into St. Paul's epistles, Blaha said. Priests are also encouraged by Campus Ministry to preach on Paul's writings.

One can gain an indulgence by going to confession, praying for the Pope's intentions, receiving communion and participating in the indulgence action, Blaha said.

"In order to gain an indulgence, this all has to be done without creating a grievous, mortal sin in between, said the Rev. Andy Nelson, a retired senior priest. "It's a kind of an added encouragement."

"It's a wonderful way to celebrate this special year of St. Paul," Nelson said.

Indulgences are voluntary and are not a widespread practice in the Church in the U.S, Blaha said.

They are between God and the sinner, with God as the ultimate judge of the sinner's intentions, Blaha said. "The intentions are essential."

Indulgences were the main reason for the Reformation in 1517. Martin Luther's 95 Theses focused on the selling of indulgences. Theses 82 attacks the Pope for selling indulgences to build St. Peter's Basillica in Rome. The two churches still disagree on the purpose of indulgences.

"It's a disappointment from a Protestant perspective that it's becoming more discussed," said Robert Kolb, a professor at Concordia Seminary.

Indulgences are as much of a mystery to Lutherans as they are to Catholics, said Robert Rosin, a professor at Concordia Seminary, a Lutheran institution.

"Theologically, it's one of the more challenging pieces or practices within the Catholic tradition," Blaha said.

The challenge is evident for Protestants as well.

"It does not particularly make sense from a Lutheran perspective," Kolb said.

The Lutheran Church does not believe in the concept of purgatory, therefore there is no place for indulgences in its theology, Kolb said.

"Indulgences really serve no purpose," Rosin said. "It's there to remind people of the seriousness of sin."

Nelson said there's a real movement in the Church to retrieve some of its piety and traditions. There's a certain nostalgia for it.

Pope Benedict seems to be interested in bringing traditions off of the backburner, Rosin said.

Campus Ministry will have a Lent and reconciliation service on March 30, Blaha said. Students can make an appointment to see a priest to receive reconciliation.

We just have to be patient and see how it all unfolds, Rosin said.

The basis for indulgences can be found in two places. In Matthew 18:18 Jesus tells the Apostles, "I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

The other reason for indulgences can be found in the concept of purgatory. Blaha said sinners must be purged of all sinfulness before meeting Christ in Heaven. This purification process happens in Purgatory.

Indulgences, then, are a way of purifying the heart before death.