STAFF EDITORIAL: Dining Dollar proposal a chance to reach out

Marquette is located in the heart of Milwaukee. Our location right in the middle of the city reinforces our responsibility to reach out to the community around us and do what we can to serve others. A recent proposal to give unused Dining Dollars to the Hunger Task Force would be an excellent way of fulfilling this mission.

Sodexho has already made commendable contributions to the Milwaukee community. Through the Campus Kitchens program, the company serves 388 meals per week to area organizations such as the Meta House, the YWCA Transitional Housing Program and Mount Calvary Lutheran School.

The Dining Dollars are the Difference proposal would be another great way for Sodexho and Marquette students to give back. The proposal, suggested by College of Communication senior Samuel Toman, would give students the option to donate their Dining Dollars at the end of each semester to the Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee.

Many students had left-over Dining Dollars at the end of last semester. Since the credit does not roll over between semesters, many students tried to spend left-over Dining Dollars as quickly as they could buying whatever they could find at the Natural Market and the Brew. Most of these last-minute purchases were likely unnecessary and made in an effort to "use it or lose it."

Allowing students to give their Dining Dollars to the Hunger Task Forces provides an alternative to wasteful end-of-the-semester spending sprees. We particularly like that this proposal empowers the students to make the choice and give to a worthy organization.

We eagerly await a decision on this proposal and encourage students to e-mail Sodexho to show your support. Giving unused Dining Dollars to the Hunger Task Force, a reputable and much-needed community food bank, would be an excellent way of reaching out to the community of which we are all a part.