Iowa rallies to beat women’s tennis

Freshman Olga Fischer at. No. 2 singles and senior Robin Metzler at No. 6 singles notched the only wins for the Golden Eagles.,”Two days after defeating the 42nd ranked University of Louisville, the Marquette women's tennis team fell to the 61st ranked University of Iowa on Sunday, 5-2.

Freshman Olga Fischer at. No. 2 singles and senior Robin Metzler at No. 6 singles notched the only wins for the Golden Eagles. After Metzler's 6-4, 6-2 victory, Marquette had leads in three matches but was unable to close out at Nos. 4 and 5 singles.

Head Coach Jody Bronson said her team failed to keep the pressure the Hawkeyes.

"We basically let them come at us, and they took it from us," Bronson said.

Marquette lost the doubles point to Iowa after a controversial call ended the No. 1 doubles match. Freshman Paola Calderon and junior Kylie Moore had a 7-4 lead in the eight-game pro set, but Iowa won four straight games, sending the match to a tie-break. At match point in the tie-break, the official did not hear Calderon call the ball "out" on a serve and called the match for Iowa. Bronson protested the call, but the official said the match was over.

After the match, Bronson felt no better about the call.

"You can't even explain it to your players," she said. There's nothing you can do about it. We were very disappointed. Very disappointed."

Calderon was also unhappy with how the match ended.

"I did get pretty upset because I called it out, but the official makes the call and that's it," she said.

Sophomore Rachael Hush and Freshman Gillian Hush won the only doubles match for Marquette, 8-2. The win improves the tandem's record to 4-1 on the season.

The wins for Fischer and Metzler in singles play marked they're second straight versus a ranked team. The two also won their singles matches in the same slots against Louisville on Friday.

Bronson said the team's loss should serve as a lesson for playing consistently.

"We are young, and hopefully this will be a great learning experience for us, because we have got to understand that we are going to play the same from start to finish no matter what they're doing to us," Bronson said.

The Golden Eagles face the University of Toledo on Friday and Illinois State University on Sunday to close out a seven-game home stand.