‘The Heidi Chronicles’ highlights societal and political progress

In the world of theatrical productions, there's more than one Heidi. Forget the girl living in the Swiss Alps with her archaic grandfather. "The Heidi Chronicles," which opens at 7:30 tonight in the Helfaer Theatre, is a much more updated and entertaining tale of a Heidi coming of age in the ever changing 20th century.

This play traces the personal growth of Heidi Holland (played by Bonnie Auguston, a senior in the College of Communication) as she deals with the pressures of politics, career success, making and losing friends and surviving tumultuous relationships through the 1960s, '70s and '80s. Plot and setting are intertwined as historical footage of influential events from each decade plays on a screen suspended over the stage, including Woodstock, Nixon's resignation and the AIDS epidemic.

The distinct focus on social and political changes over several decades make this production more intellectually driven than more recent (and comedic) fare such as "Sex and the City." Written in 1988 by Wendy Wasserstein, the play tackles the dilemma of attaining success while facing confusing social pressures to find a mate.

Auguston said this has been the largest role she's ever played — particularly since she is on stage for the entire performance. Auguston and cast must follow their characters through their late teens to 40s.

Director Phylis Ravel said while the play was spot-on when it was written, she is glad to see that students now hold a more developed outlook on careers and relationships — and that it's entirely possible to have the best of both.

"It used to be either/or," Ravel said. "A lot of women went to college for the 'Mrs.' degree. If you didn't have a ring by junior year, you were a spinster. This generation has a more balanced outlook."

Wasserstein wrote from what she knew, a time and culture when "the sisterhood was very tight," Ravel said. While the play focuses on women, its treatment of men is just as fair and timely.

There are only two male characters in "The Heidi Chronicles:" The charismatic, womanizing magazine editor named Scoop Rosenbaum and the gay pediatrician who is also Heidi's best friend, Peter Patrone. Scoop represents the classic societal differences between the sexes. He's self-assured (borderline cocky), impulsive and a charming philanderer. The same traits that would tag women as vixens or witches (or worse) work remarkably well for Scoop as the publisher of a successful New York City magazine.

College of Communication sophomore Joe Picchetti, who plays Scoop, contends his character is smarter than he seems.

"He could tell you the political standpoint of Eugene McCarthy as well as get you to sleep with him all in the same night," Picchetti said. "His love life may wander from woman to woman, but that is because he can't tie himself down with anyone for too long. That is why Heidi intrigues him so much. He realizes that he is falling in love with this sole girl."

While "The Heidi Chronicles" may be a blast from the past for today's students, their parents would surely enjoy its foundation in the '60s and '70s experience, said Kevin Hogan, a College of Arts & Sciences senior, who plays Peter.

"I think it's fair to say that the play is largely about the cultural impact of the baby boomer generation, mostly in the area of sexual politics," he said. "For a college campus, at this time, I think it's important to consider what we have learned from the generation preceding us about how to interact with people."

The understated but realistic costumes are terrific. The costume designer, Connie Peterson, has avoided the stereotypical outfits like hippie florals of the '60s, elephant bell-bottoms of the '70s and the acid-washed jeans of the '80s. Her selections make the play less of a caricature and more of a very real portrait of the past.

The women of the cast do a wonderful job representing various personalities and lifestyles. College of Arts & Sciences freshman Lillian Figg-Franzoi, who plays Heidi's best friend Susan, is particularly a standout as a powerhouse career woman who is juggling social trends, business tasks, friends and boyfriends all at once.

Music lovers will get a kick out of the play since hit songs representative of each year are played during scene changes. You'll hear Janis Joplin, the Beatles and Bob Dylan among other classics. In one scene, appropriately set at a women's liberation meeting, the ladies rise from their seats in dance and sing along to Aretha Franklin's "Respect."

Ravel said it was interesting to note how the student actors treated heavy topics like AIDS, gay rights and the feminist movement.

"It was challenging, but it was like history for them," she said.

Picchetti said a play spanning three decades helped build his appreciation of the progress society has made in tolerance and other areas.

"One of the most challenging things about the show was getting the essence of the '60s through the '80s to come out through my acting," he said. "I was only born at the end of the '80s, so I had no clue of how things felt during that time period."

Tomorrow, the Department of the Performing Arts will be holding a Philanthropy Friday show at 7:30 p.m. A portion of ticket costs will go towards the student feminist organization Empowerment, which will be sponsoring the Milwaukee LGBT Community Center.