Abortion plan approved; met by opposition

• A UW Madison affiliated surgery center will now be offering second trimester abortions.
  • The decision was finalized Feb. 6.
  • Only medical staff that volunteer will perform the abortions.
  • No tax money will go towards the abortions.

Second trimester abortions will now be performed at Madison Surgery Center, partially owned by the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Authority Board approved the plan on Feb. 4 and the MSC board voted in favor of the plan on Feb. 6, said Lisa Brunette, director of media relations for UW Health Marketing and Public Affairs.

A coalition of seven pro-life groups, including Pro-Life Wisconsin and Wisconsin Family Council, opposed this plan, said Virginia Zignego, the communications director of Pro-Life Wisconsin. She said they collected over 20,000 signatures for a petition expressing their opposition.

Brunette said MSC would be the only option for second trimester abortions in the Madison area.

Second trimester abortions are performed between the 13th and 22nd weeks of a woman's pregnancy, according to a UW Health Marketing and Public Affairs media statement.

Dennis Christensen, M.D., performed second trimester abortions until his retirement in December, according to the media statement.

Appleton, Milwaukee and Madison are the only Wisconsin cities where abortions are performed, said Lisa Subeck, the executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin.

MSC is owned by the UW Medical Foundation, UW Hospital and Clinics, and Meriter Hospital.

Brunette said one of the reasons MSC is a good place to perform this procedure is because the center is located right across the street from Meriter Hospital.

It is estimated that 120 to 130 second trimester abortions will be performed at MSC each year, Brunette said.

Participation by medical staff will be voluntary and no state funds will be paid to the physicians for this service, according to a media statement.

Currently, legal restrictions exist on using paid tax money to fund abortions, Brunette said.

Subeck said 25 percent of abortions performed at MSC would be due to the mother's medical condition.

However, even with the existence of these restrictions, not everyone is happy with the recent decision.

"It is a profoundly sad day to see what has been a previously distinguished institution go down this horrific path," said Julaine K. Appling, the CEO of Wisconsin Family Council.

In response to MSC's decision, Appling said they're telling members to do what they believe is right. For many members, this means putting economic pressure on the university, Appling said.

She said she heard from people all over Wisconsin that said they are done with UW. Pro-lifers will no longer give them money and some doctors will not send patients to UW facilities, she said.

Pro-Life Wisconsin is calling for people to boycott the facility, Zignego said. There are many other great hospitals in Madison that don't do this, she said.

Brunette said the board considered the economic impact when they made their decision but it is too early to tell what that impact might be.

Pro-Life Wisconsin is even more determined to oppose abortions at MSC now that this decision has been made, Zignego said.

Zignego is a graduate of UW-Madison and said she has never been so ashamed of her alma mater.

"Badger hands are stained red with the blood of these babies," she said.

Not all Badgers share this feeling. Gillian Stoddard Leatherberry, the co-chair of Students for Choice at UW-Madison, said "I am so proud to be a part of UW-Madison after they made this decision."

UW's decision shows they're above the politics of the issue, Stoddard Leatherberry said. "They're paying attention to the facts, not the politics."

She said this is about women's rights and healthcare. Stoddard Leatherberry said women shouldn't be treated like second-class citizens and be told what to do with their bodies.

"The MSC should be applauded for recognizing the need in our community and stepping up to fulfill a public health service in our community," said Subeck.

Appling said every baby deserves the opportunity for life. Just because abortion is legal doesn't mean we have to do it, she said.