Women’s tennis defeats Northern Illinois, UW- Green Bay

The team was led by the heady play of two freshman, Paola Calderon and Olga Fischer, who each handled a match in the No.,”The Marquette women's tennis team defeated Northen Illinois and the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay in a double header at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium Sunday. The Golden Eagles won 7-0 in both matches and improve to 5-2 on the season.

The team was led by the heady play of two freshman, Paola Calderon and Olga Fischer, who each handled a match in the No. 1 singles. Calderon won 6-4, 6-4 against NIU and Fischer defeated Green Bay, 6-1, 6-2.

Head Coach Jody Bronson noted that two freshman splitting time at No. 1 singles is uncommon.

"I would say it's kind of unusual," Bronson said. "But, you know, it what it is. They're both very talented."

Bronson said she was especially pleased with the progress of Fischer, a freshman from Berlin who has only been with the team for a few weeks.

"It was a rough start for her," she said. "When she first got here, she had jet lag for like a week, and the court surface was so different then she was used to, and so it's really taken her these few weeks to really kind of get comfortable and settle in."

Sophomore Christina Ruiz notched a pair of solid singles wins, winning 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 3 slot against NIU and 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 singles versus Green Bay. Ruiz said her game has improved in recent weeks.

"The beginning of the season was kind of rocky for me, but I today I felt like I was playing my game like I did last season," Ruiz said.

Bronson said the team mixed-up some of its doubles teams Sunday. Noticeably, freshman Gillian Hush, rather than being joined by her sophomore sister Rachel, twice teamed up with fellow freshman Fischer. The pair defeated NIU 8-0 at No. 3 doubles and bested Green Bay 8-3 at No. 2 singles. Junior Kylie Moore won two doubles matches on the day, at the No. 1 slot with Calderon against NIU and at No. 3 with junior Maggie Wilson over Green Bay.

Senior Robin Metzler, who won matches at Nos. 4 and 5 singles and two doubles matches with Ruiz, said the pair of victories on Sunday along with the defeat of IUPUI Friday should give the team momentum heading into Friday's match against Louisville.

"It's a huge match, so this weekend was huge for a lot of the girls to get some confidence," Metzler said.

Metzler's partner, Ruiz, agreed.

"We had a close one with Louisville last year, and we have a great lineup this year, so I know after this weekend we all feel really good," she said. "We're just pumped up, its going to be a good weekend."

The Golden Eagles open Big East play against the Cardinals on Friday at 3 pm in the Helfaer Tennis Stadium.