Marquette rolls past IUPUI

The Golden Eagles, who lost to the 19th ranked University of Michigan and 30th ranked Indiana University last weekend, remained firmly in control throughout the contest.,”After two straight road losses against ranked opponents, the Marquette women's tennis team dominated a short-handed IUPUI squad, 7-0.

The Golden Eagles, who lost to the 19th ranked University of Michigan and 30th ranked Indiana University last weekend, remained firmly in control throughout the contest. IUPUI was blanked in every match-up with the exception of a 6-1, 6-0 victory for junior Elly Strother at No. 4 singles in her first match of the spring season.

The Jaguars, fielding only four players, were forced to forfeit matches at No. 3 doubles and Nos. 5 and 6 singles.

Head Coach Jody Bronson said she was pleased with the effort of her team.

"I wanted my kids to just play hard and aggressive," Bronson said. "I thought they came out and just really played like they were dictating points and they were being the aggressors in the match, because that's what they have to be when we play the nationally ranked teams."

Freshman standout Paola Calderon registered shutouts at No. 1 singles as well as at No. 1 doubles with senior Robin Metzler, setting the tandem at 3-0 in doubles play this season.

Bronson said she was especially pleased with the play of Olga Fischer, a freshman from Berlin.

"I thought the match went really well," Fischer said. "We expected to when and that's what we did."

The Golden Eagles face the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay and Northern Illinois in a double header at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium on Sunday.