Men’s tennis beats Western Illinois and Chicago State today

Marquette's 7-0 win over the Leathernecks of Western Illinois in the day's opening match was highlighted by senior Trent Hagan's 6-4, 6-4 victory over Zach Frisch at No.,”The Marquette men's tennis team cruised to 4-0 after lopsided victories against Western Illinois and Chicago State at today's double header at Helfaer Tennis Stadium. The Golden Eagles did not drop a set in either match.

Marquette's 7-0 win over the Leathernecks of Western Illinois in the day's opening match was highlighted by senior Trent Hagan's 6-4, 6-4 victory over Zach Frisch at No. 1 singles. After falling behind 2-3 in the second set, Hagan, visibly frustrated, threw off his cap. Hatless, Hagan won the next three games to win the match.

"I was at the where I was just fed up — I needed to get my head together," Hagan said.

Hagan said he did not know whether the hat made a difference.

"I never really thought of the connection," Hagan said, laughing. "Maybe I won't wear it next time."

Hagan also posted an 8-4 victory in No. 1 doubles against WIU with fellow senior Stephan Shao.

In the second match of the day, the Golden Eagles easily handled a depleted Chicago State team, also winning 7-0. The short-handed Cougars, fielding a team of only five players, were forced to forfeit matches at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles.

The team's three freshman all saw action at singles play. Drake Kakar posted a 6-2, 7-5 victory at No. 6 singles against WIU and Jonathan Schwerin won 6-4, 6-1 versus Chicago State at No. 3 singles. In the day's only shutout, J.T. Christian, making his debut in singles, won 6-0, 6-0. in the No. 5 slot.

"Coach told me to go out there and take care of business," Christian said. "It was my job to win that match and that's what I did."

Head Coach Steve Rodecap said he's been happy with the progress of the team's freshman.

"I really feel like they're developing a lot," Rodecap said. "As a player you don't necessarily see it on a daily basis, but as a coach you're constantly evaluating. We feel good about where they're at."

The Golden Eagles next match is a home contest against the 31st ranked Wisconsin Badgers on Tuesday. Rodecap said his players are excited for the contest.

"It'll be a test," he said. "We'll have to play well. We're looking forward to it."