Big East Notebook: Women

It was raining on Saturday during Connecticut's lopsided victory over Syracuse, but the downpour wasn't just outside. Sophomore sensation Maya Moore drained a Big East regular-season record 10 3-pointers and led the Huskies in scoring with 40 points.

Syracuse came into the game confident it could take down the No. 1 ranked team in the country and assert itself as a serious contender in the talented Big East Conference. Moore had other ideas.

For Huskie fans, the long range onslaught must have looked like a miracle, but for the awe-struck Syracuse fans it must have looked like Armageddon. Moore's inspired performance — which one women's hoop analyst called "one of the greatest shooting performances in women's basketball history" — netted her Big East Player of the Week honors for the first time this season.

In Connecticut's two victories over DePaul and Syracuse last week, Moore averaged 29 points and 12.5 rebounds per game. On the week, the marvelous Moore shot an incredible 56.8 percent from the field and was 11-for-18 from 3-point range.

War of words

Though the Connecticut and Syracuse match-up was a 54-point blowout and wasn't the most captivating of contests, the game still provided a heated battle. During the post-game congratulatory handshakes, Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma had some not-so-kind words to share with Syracuse junior forward Nicole Michael as they passed in line.

Auriemma seemed frustrated because of Syracuse's physical play over the course of the game. What Auriemma, who is admittedly a "smart-aleck guy" from Philadelphia, said to the Syracuse player is unclear, but by his animated hands gestures and angry tone, assume it wasn't a simple "good game." After Auriemma confronted Michael, she appeared to stick her leg out and trip the coach.

The budding rivalry traces its roots back to 2007 when Auriemma said, "When you're Syracuse you've got to beat all the teams you're supposed to beat, because there are some games you're just not going to win."

Look for a slugfest the next time these teams cross paths.

Game of the Week

Two Big East powerhouses collide when Louisville takes on Cincinnati at home on Tuesday night. The No. 7 Cardinals, led by star Angel McCoughtry, look to extend their undefeated conference record to 6-0 against the Bearcats.

Cincinnati is coming off a big win over Seton Hall, thanks to a big day from freshman Shanasa Sanders. The talented point guard scored 25 points in that game and was named Big East Freshman of the Week.

The Bearcats are off to their best start since joining the Big East back in 2005 and are looking to knock off one of the most dominating teams in the country.

The key for a Cincinnati win will be containing McCoughtry, the reigning Big East Player of the Week and arguably the nation's top player. Slow her down and the Bearcats could make this a close game.