Milwaukee filmmakers celebrate 10th anniversary

It's mandatory to watch certain movies when living in certain cities. There probably aren't many people from Fargo, N.D. who haven't seen "Fargo" or many San Franciscans who haven't seen "Dirty Harry."

If you call Milwaukee home, the offbeat indie film "American Movie," is one you have to see. It's celebrating a 10th anniversary this week, but has stood the test of time and is distinct, endearing and hilarious still.

The film's stars, Menomonee Falls' own Mark Borchardt and Mike Schank, will be attending a screening of "American Movie" held at Landmark's Oriental Theatre, 2230 N. Farwell Ave., tonight.

Directed by Chris Smith and produced by Sarah Price (two Milwaukee filmmakers), the film follows Borchardt for two years in his effort to create "Coven" (pronounced Coe-ven), a 35-minute straight-to-video horror flick. Borchardt calls upon his mother, 82-year-old Uncle Bill, best friend and blindfold-wearing guitar player Mike Schank and others to help him put this project together.

Borchardt faces financial difficulties, as he borrows money from "executive producer" Uncle Bill and works as a janitor in a cemetery. He has big ideas behind thick large glasses and under knit Packers hats, and selling out is just not an option.

Borchardt is an easy guy to root for as he tries to make his movie for all the right reasons, and his deadpan humor makes the film unforgettable. He's effortlessly funny, especially when he poses life questions frosted in thick Wisconsin accent like, "Is that what you want to do with your life? Suck down Peppermint Schnapps and call Morocco at 2 in the morning? That's senseless."

The documentary, released in 1999, racked up a Grand Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival that same year. Borchardt and Schank suddenly found themselves living the "lottery effect" with appearances on David Letterman, visits to the Playboy Mansion, and hanging with Roger Ebert.

"It was so completely different from day to day existence it was dreamlike," Borchardt said. "I don't equate that with who I am or what I do. I don't play the lottery."

He said he didn't care about the misconceptions or stereotypes people held of Milwaukee as he traveled the country for publicity.

"I don't care what people think or say," Borchardt said.

When asked what has changed in the decade since the movie's release, Borchardt is quick to say, "Nothing." He said he never gave the documentary a thought as he was being filmed because it just wasn't his business. He doesn't plan on leaving Milwaukee — this where all his friends and family live, and as he simply put it, "Why would you leave that behind?"

Today, Borchardt writes for hire and for his own good — he just finished a short collection of poems — and still works on putting together films.

Since the film's release, Smith has seen more success with his other commercial and feature projects. His latest film "The Pool" was released earlier this year to great critical acclaim. The Museum of Modern Art honored him last summer in a career retrospective, according to a press release.

Tonight's screening will take place at 7 p.m. Borchardt and Schank will speak on the film and take questions. After the movie, an after-party, open to all, will be held a few doors down from the theater at Landmark Lanes, 2220 N. Farwell Ave.