Staff editorial: Free heat and cookies, let’s go to the Snow Ball

The past week's weather has brought new meaning to the word "cold." The depths of winter have come to Milwaukee, and students are moving a bit faster on their cross-campus treks to class.

But with second semester just gearing up, this is the opportune time to reconnect with friends and peers while schoolwork is relatively light. With that in mind, we encourage all students to attend Saturday night's Snow Ball and what's left of the Winter Flurry week events.

Though the week is almost ever, there are still a few chances for students to join in the fun. Tonight at 8:30 p.m. is Winter Flurry Comedy Night, which features Studio 13 Refugees and BET comedian Arvin Mitchell.

The Snowball is not a high school dance. Students attend in large groups and dance the night away with friends — not dates. The dance is also easy on college students' budgets, as tickets are free. Students who wish to attend must simply pick up tickets in Room 252 of the Alumni Memorial Union by 6 p.m. Friday.

With the prevalence of binge drinking and underage consumption on college campuses, the Snow Ball is a way for students to take a break from party-hard lifestyles. The Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 90 percent of the alcohol consumed by 18- to 20-year-olds is in the form of binge drinks. Eighteen- to 20-year-olds also make up 51 percent of those who admit to binge drinking.

Fortunately for students looking for a break, the Snow Ball dance is alcohol-free and, this year, will feature a non-alcoholic cocktail bar for students who want to enjoy a safe drink.

Winter will undoubtedly last another three months, if not a bit longer. So don your parka and scarves for a night, and make the trek to the AMU for an evening of partying with all the friends you missed over winter break.