BULLOCK: Answers to the women’s basketball team’s questions

Maybe I'm good luck? I think that's what it is.

I covered the Marquette women's basketball team last season and it won the WNIT. Then I go to Al McGuire Center Tuesday night with the intention of writing a column about how disappointing the team has been this season, expecting Terri Mitchell's squad to drop another game against No. 10 Notre Dame, then low and behold, it upsets the Irish 75-65.

So, instead I will tell you why I think this team has struggled so unexpectedly, what it should do to continue to climb out of its funk, and why its best basketball is yet to come.

First, let me state what is perhaps obvious: This team misses forward Jocelyn Mellen.

The Golden Eagles won their first five games — all of which Mellen started. Then the sophomore tore the ACL in her left knee in that fifth game, an 80-77 win over a tough Gonzaga team.

Without Mellen, Paige Fiedorowicz, Jessica Pachko and Georgie Jones have all seen increased minutes. The problem is that Mitchell hasn't yet figured out what combination of the three works best in the frontcourt.

With Jones' length and athleticism she is an impressive defensive presence, but she lacks the post moves to be much of a scoring threat and is a flat out terrible free throw shooter, sporting a Dominic James-esque 39.6 percent mark. That wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't attempting 2.3 free throws per game, the third most on the team.

Pachko on the other hand has excellent touch around the basket, but she seems to take plays off, and her lack of leaping ability allows the opposition to grab rebounds that should be hers.

Mellen, like Fiedorowicz, played both sides of the ball well and without her Mitchell's options are limited.

Another reason for Marquette's struggles has been poor shooting. I know, I'm a genius for noticing. The Golden Eagles are shooting just 41.4 percent on the season and just 30.4 percent from behind the 3-point line.

I doubt Mitchell cares what I think, but I have one simple suggestion. Less Lauren Thomas-Johnson and more Tatiyiana McMorris and Janelle Harris.

Thomas-Johnson, a juco transfer in her first season with Marquette, quickly became a favorite of Mitchell's. But since her hot start in those first five wins, she has hit only 12 of her last 80 shot attempts.

At this point, I think it's more likely that the fluke was her play in those first five games, not her play in the last 12.

McMorris started her fifth straight game Tuesday and has played well since earning the job. Harris isn't flashy and doesn't score a ton, but she makes her shots. She plays solid defense and doesn't need the ball in her hands to produce — something that complements Krystal Ellis and Angel Robinson well.

But this team is on the rise. Ellis is too talented to be shooting 39.8 percent and averaging 13.7 points per game.

While she has been bothered by a knee injury, she looked like her old self against Notre Dame, going off for 18 points and five assists, and the team is already looking at the win as a turning point in its season.

I don't know if this victory will be the catalyst the team needs, but what I do know is that once Ellis starts finding her shot, the Golden Eagles will start finding some wins.