Bake sales make dough for student groups

• 32 student organizations held bake sales this semester
  • Most sales are held in Lalumiere Language Hall or under the Raynor Bridge
  • Some groups have successful sales, and other groups aren't as successful

Under the Raynor Library Bridge at 10 a.m. in 34-degree weather, a dozen female students huddle together around a colorfully decorated table, topped with baked goods, screaming at students on their way to class.

"Bake sale! Bake sale! Hot chocolate! One dollar! Cookies! One dollar!"

The girls are members of the women's club lacrosse team, and are taking part in a regular occurrence on campus: the bake sale fund-raiser.

"We are trying to pay for our warm-ups this year. That will be an expensive cost and necessary in these winter conditions," said Lauren Gleason, a member of the lacrosse team and one of the organizers of last week's bake sale.

Bake sales on campus are run by student organizations, and this semester 32 groups have taken part in some kind of sale. Kate Trevey, coordinator for Student Organizations and Leadership in the Office of Student Development, said the diversity of student organizations participating in bake sales runs the gamut, from Greek and cultural organizations to club sports and service and social awareness groups.

Most of the bake sales on campus take place either in Lalumiere Hall, Straz Hall or under the Raynor Bridge. Sales do not occur in the Alumni Memorial Union because of an exclusive contract with Sodexo Services, the university food provider.

However, many organizations enjoy their designated locations because of the high traffic from students on their way to and from class.

"We chose (under Raynor Bridge) because people walk through here all day, and it's a good place to get attention," Gleason said.

Earlier this semester, the Marquette ultimate Frisbee team sold "puppy chow" to raise money for transportation and tournament fees. The team rose over $430 after three days, said organizer Laura Nelson, a junior in the College of Health Sciences.

"Any type of money that is coming in is going to help us," Nelson said.

But some organizations have found it a little harder to raise money with their bake sales. When the Latin American Student Organization held its bake sale in September, the group raised only $75.

"We were having Latino Solidarity Day and (we used the money) to pay for different speakers," said Manuel Rodriguez, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences who organized the fund-raiser. "We still made a profit, but not much."

Jeff Wolf, a junior in the College of Communication, walks under the Raynor Bridge roughly six times a week and believes students have become hesitant to support bake sales because they are so prevalent.

"I think (students) have become immune to the solicitation on campus just because there's so much of it," he said.