DOUTHITT: Choose your BigNoggin

At nearly every Marquette men's basketball game there is a ceremony deeply rooted in tradition. Sometimes it goes unnoticed by the masses, yet it's an integral part of every Golden Eagle battle.

No, it's not singing "Hail Alma Mater" before tip-off, nor is it chanting "We Are Marquette" when the lights dim before the starting lineups are called.

But every time it happens I get goose bumps on my arms and a shiver up my spine while I'm reminded of the long and storied history of our 127-year-old university.

That's right, I'm talking about the unveiling of the BigNoggin of the game — those cardboard heads which first found their way to the student section three seasons ago.

I can just see it now: Five seconds left in the 2nd half; Marquette is beating Pittsburgh by one point.

Marquette Radio's play by play: "Levance Fields picks up the loose ball, he's got an open court. It's all over for Marquette. Wait … wait, Fields seems to be distracted by a giant cardboard head of John Stamos. He dribbles the ball off his foot. Marquette wins!"

At most games we are given a new head. Students can vote for which heads they want added to the pantheon of celebrities that dot the crowd at gomarquette.com.

Who are the nominees for the next addition?

Brewer's left fielder Ryan Braun, alien Sam Cassell, scandal-waiting-to-happen Miley Cyrus and eye-candy country singer Taylor Swift.

Really? We can do better than that.

I think the BigNoggins are mildly entertaining. From time to time they make me chuckle, but in all seriousness, they probably do little to distract opponents. They're too numerous and too random. We have to start thinking outside the box.

Craig Pintens, associate athletic director, said there is typically 20 heads in the student section each game.

I think the athletic department should reduce that number to five, make them twice the size and give them a different theme each game.

These would be my top five themes.

5. Early American political figures — Choose from Washington, Jefferson, Franklin (complete with kite and key), Madison, etc. Hamilton and Burr could have a fake duel during crunch time free throws.

4. Power Rangers — I don't think this requires much explaining.

3. Saved by the Bell — Screech, Mr. Belding, A.C. Slater and Kelly Kapowski. Tom Crean could replace Zach Morris because they have the same haircut.

2. Animals of the Serengeti — Nothing would distract a free throw shooter more than a giant giraffe from the lower bowl, eating fake foliage hanging from the upper bowl.

1. The Robby Douthitt theme — Different cutouts of me with different types of facial hair. The full beard, the Fu Manchu, the mutton chops, the curly handle bar and the clean-shaven. (Note: These pictures would have to be digitally enhanced. There is no way I'm shaving my beard.)

Pintens said Marquette stole the BigNoggin idea from San Diego State.

"We always have to give credit to them," Pintens said. "Fortunately for us, we're on TV more than San Diego State."

We need to spice up that stolen idea with a bit of originality. Even if we can't have themed noggins for every game, we could at least use them for anything on ESPN.

If anybody else has better ideas for themed noggins, go to marquettetribune.org and post them at the bottom of this column. I'll compile a list and send them to the athletic department.