MCLAUGHLIN: Ringing out ‘ahoya’ for MU

Having just finished a sizeable batch of summer internship applications, I've become something of an expert in describing myself and all my skills and credentials on one 8 1/2-by-11-inch résumé. If you're lucky (if you can see it that way), some employers ask for a cover letter and 300- to 600-word autobiography to give them a tiny glimpse of who you are and why you're qualified.

It's human nature to shrink things down and fit them into neatly organized compartments in order to make sense of the world. I've learned ad nauseam how media reinforces stereotypes and reduces everyone into caricatures of themselves. Although I usually argue that it's no big deal, the media recently hit a little too close to home for me to ignore.

USA Today reported last week that ESPN canceled a planned ad campaign that would play on the commonly held stereotypes of students from various colleges. The independent casting company, Anomaly, put out a casting call with specific and degrading descriptions for the actors. Purdue, for example, called for a male who looked like a 14-year-old genius. The Tennessee student was described as, "A slutty girl who would hang out at the cowgirl hall of fame."

And yes, Marquette made the list. This was the description on the casting call:

"FEMALE. Marquette, on a scale of 1-10, she's a six. A B-, C in every category you can define a person by. Her defining characteristic is you don't really remember her. You're not breaking your arm to get to her, but you're not chewing it off to get away. She does have a winning personality though. Midwest, sweet girl."

I guess it could be worse. A grade of BC is passing, after all.

Let's be honest, Campus, even our wildest nights are overshadowed by Madison. But could there be something else to define a student population by? Is there a typical Marquette student?

Roby Blust, dean of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, said when reading student essays, a lot of value is placed on those who show strong leadership and a commitment to service. OK, so it can be reasonably assumed that most of us are friendly, serving leaders, but what about our personalities, values and interests?

The Rev. John Naus has been at Marquette for 45 years, during which he served as Schroeder Hall Minister for 28 years and as dean of Students and director of Campus Ministry. He trained at Ringling Bros. Clown College and has a part-time gig as Tumbleweed the Clown. He now teaches and is the faculty adviser to the Evans Scholars.

Simply put, Fr. Naus knows Marquette. And he beamed with pride as he listed the qualities he sees in students here: optimism; academia; dedication to family and friends; approachability and friendliness; lifelong compassion.

They're anything but bland, boring Midwesterners.

"Marquette students are so excited about making a difference in others' lives," he said. "They see, written on the faces of the people they meet, the words, 'Make me feel important.' "

And we really like each other, too. He said when he celebrates Mass on Tuesday nights in the St. Joan of Arc Chapel, he sees how much students really enjoy one another. "That's the happiest hour of my week," he said.

Forget what the media (except me) thinks. There are plenty of people right here who think you're dynamite, Campus. Including yours truly.