Matthews steals the spotlight early in season

The men's basketball team's game against Chicago State had barely begun, but senior guard Wesley Matthews had already taken over for Marquette

In the first 2:27, Matthews scored seven points, including a jumper that capped an 11-3 run. He ended the half with 17 points (scoring 26 in the game) and the Golden Eagles beat Chicago State 106-87.

"Any given night, anybody can go off," Matthews said. "At the same time there's going to be nights when numerous people go off. That's a credit to us getting stops on the defensive end."

Through three season the most overlooked member of Marquette's trio of guards has been Matthews.

Senior guard Dominic James burst on the Marquette scene early in his career with the Golden Eagles, averaging 15.3 and 14.9 points per game in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

James gave way slightly to the ability of senior guard Jerel McNeal last season as McNeal led the team with 14.9 ppg (after averaging 14.7 ppg in his sophomore year).

But Monday Matthews served notice that he too is ready for a breakthrough – through two games, that is.

"It's still early, but (I attribute it) to how wide open our offense is," Matthews said. "Everyone is getting the chance to be in positions to be where they're at their best. That's a credit to us picking up what this offense is about."

Matthews added three assists and nine rebounds, leading Marquette in scoring for the second game in a row. In the season opener against Houston Baptist he scored 27 points (on 7-of-11 shooting) and grabbed eight rebounds.

Neither opponent provided the quality of play Matthews and the Golden Eagles will face in the Big East Conference, but other players struggled as Matthews excelled. Jerel McNeal scored 20 points against Houston Baptist, but shot just 7-for-17 in doing so. Against Chicago State he scored 17 points but made just 2-of-6 during Matthews' big first half.

James has 13 points so far this season on 5-of-12 shooting. He has also made just 3-of-11 free throws this year.

"I just think (Matthews) is playing with great juice, he's playing with great energy," coach Buzz Williams said. "And he's doing it in myriad ways."

Asked about what new coach Williams expected of him before the season started, Matthews responded simply.

"I've got be a beast. I've got be everywhere. He wants me to basically let loose," Matthews said. "Just play the way I play, lead the way I lead and just help."

Through two games he has exhibited an aggressiveness that was lacking in his freshman, sophomore and junior campaigns. Matthews averaged just nine, 12.6 and 11.3 ppg in those seasons, respectively. Junior forward Lazar Hayward said he thought Matthews' shift had to do with versatility.

"I just think he's a lot more comfortable," Hayward said. "I think this offense is predicated on guys who can do a bunch of different things, and that's why he stands out a little more."

Part of that versatility has shown itself in Matthews' ability to pull down rebounds — something Williams said is crucial to Marquette's overall success.

"Wes' scoring is somewhat derived from what he's doing on the (defensive) end," Williams said. "Every time you look at the box score he's got something in every category. We're happy with what Wes is doing, we've just got to get more guys to join him."