Women’s soccer falls to Minnesota in NCAA Tournament

ST. PAUL, Minn. — For a team that had struggled to score goals this season, the Marquette women's soccer team had shown a decent ability to find the back of the net in the second half.

The flashed that ability again in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday, but still couldn't overcome an exceptionally slow start, falling 2-1 to Minnesota (21-3).

The Golden Eagles allowed a pair of goals in the first 15 minutes of the game to fall behind 2-0. They fought back with a goal from Allison McBride in the 75th minute, but couldn't get closer than that one-goal deficit.

"I think our team was a little bit too emotional trying to play. Out of that came the first goal, and the second one followed not too far behind. That kind of put us behind the eight ball," coach Markus Roeders said. "We ran out of time."

Marquette (11-8-3) started junior Chelsey Turner in goal. Turner, a transfer from Minnesota, had started only four games for the Golden Eagles this season, none since Oct. 19 against Cincinnati.

She allowed a pair of goals within the first 15 minutes of the game as Marquette fell in a quick 2-0 hole. The first score came from midfielder Kelsey Hood, who scored unassisted directly in front of the Marquette net. The ball went through a crowd of Marquette defenders and deflected into the back of the net.

The second score came courtesy midfielder Julie Rezac, who received a high lob from midfielder Clare Grimwood about 12 yards out. Rezac was able to get position on senior defender Katie Kelly and head the ball past Turner, who found herself out of position after hesitating in pursuit of the ball.

Redshirt freshman Natalie Kulla started the second half, but did not face a shot on goal.

"We had talked about (who should start in goal) as a staff, but we've had those rotations throughout the year. Beforehand the goal was to give them both a chance," Roeders said. "Don't blame anybody, because you win and lose as a team."

Aside from McBride's late score, the Golden Eagles were unable to generate consistent scoring opportunities down the stretch. Perhaps Marquette's best chance came when midfielder Michelle Compty found a loose ball in front of the Minnesota net with 10 seconds left in the game. Goalkeeper Lindsey Dare was able to easily stop Compty's quick shot.

For the game, Marquette had five shots on goal to only two for Minnesota. The Golden Eagles also held a 12-9 advantage in shots, but Minnesota generated better scoring chances.

All that meant was that Minnesota earned a berth in the second round, where the Golden Gophers will face South Dakota State (who beat No. 4-seed Colorado 1-0 Friday). Roeders and the Golden Eagles were left to lament the self-inflicted early hole.

"For our team, it was really a tale of two halves," Roeders said. "That was one of our strengths this year, we could play with a lead of 1-0, but at the same time we were capable of coming back."

"Obviously tonight we weren't able to do it. We dug ourselves too big of a hole."