Men’s soccer closes out three-win season

Looking back at another losing season as coach of the Marquette men's soccer team, Louis Bennett had a hard time finding any highs from the previous three months.

"I don't think there was a high point that spiked," Bennett said. "I have trouble saying that there was a high point for me when we only won three games."

Marquette's three wins were an all-time high for Bennett since his tenure began in 2006. But that 3-10-4 record is better by only one win. In fact, since Bennett took the Marquette job, the Golden Eagles have won only six games and have never reached the Big East Tournament.

At the beginning of the season, there was enthusiasm for the men's soccer team as Bennett had finally received a squad made up of his own recruits.

In the two years prior, Bennett had to preach his new system to juniors and seniors who weren't used to his program. However, the team was struck a blow before the start of the season when senior midfielder Dan Addis was sidelined with a foot injury that lasted the duration of the season.

"It was frustrating to watch our team because we are going through a transition still and sitting on the sideline and not able to do anything was frustrating," Addis said.

Marquette started the season strong with an opening victory over Bryant 4-1 and drew back-to-back games against Penn and Columbia. But they lost their next three games. There seemed to be a rise in the Golden Eagles' play as they tied 1-1 on the road against Louisville and won 1-0 at Cincinnati the following game, but Marquette would go on to lose seven of its next nine games.

The season's issue seemed to be Marquette's inability to convert opportunities into goals. The Golden Eagles managed to match their opponents this season in shots-on-goal percentage with 42.9 versus 40.3 and had more corner kicks this season than their opponents with 83 versus 78.

Goalkeeper Matt Pyzdrowski said he felt that the team developed as athletes but simply lacked the results they needed.

"Unfortunately I think a lot of the improvements that we've seen haven't been in wins and losses. Its been more about establishing who we are as a team," Pyzdrowski said. "I think it's unfortunate because I think we deserved to get a couple more results this year but things didn't go our way."

Marquette had the ability to reach the playoffs this season after their Milwaukee Cup victory over Wisconsin-Milwaukee. But the Golden Eagles lost their last three games, including a lackluster showing 2-0 loss to Providence.

"Lowest point of the season was the Providence game," Bennett said. "Coming out flat, against the wind, them getting two goals. We pushed but we couldn't get the ball into the back of the net."

However, Bennett is optimistic about the way his team played this season, and said he believes his team plays better than what the win-loss column might show.

"I think it's like an iceberg," Bennett said. "An on-looker, they see on top of the surface. We may have appeared foolishly optimistic in the years gone by (saying) 'It's coming, it's coming, it's a process.' A lot of people are fed up hearing us say that. I'm not saying that" anymore.