‘Be mine,’ say local shops to valentines

,”

As Valentine's Day approaches (it's tomorrow, so you've got less than 24 shopping hours, just in case you forgot), Laun Kurriger said she expects to see a lot of business from Marquette students at Milwaukee Flowers and Gifts, where she works as a manager.

Located across from Mashuda Hall at 1925 W. Wisconsin Ave., the flower shop is typically crowded with students rushing to buy last-minute gifts for that special someone. According to Kurriger, Valentine's Day is always the No. 1 day in sales, with red roses typically coming in as the store's most popular gift.

Milwaukee Flowers and Gifts certainly isn't the only local business that will be packed on Feb. 14. While for most Valentine's Day is either filled with romance or bitter cynicism, for many Milwaukee business owners the holiday merely means an increase in business.

Pete Karczewski, food and beverages outlets manager at the Hyatt Regency, 333 W. Kilbourn Ave., said Polaris, the revolving restaurant at the top of the hotel, is a very popular date spot.

"It's always sold out," Karczewski said.

According to Karczewski, the restaurant earned its romantic reputation with its candlelit rooms and notable view of the city. He said it's the only revolving rooftop restaurant in Wisconsin.

Karczewski said he has worked on Valentine's Day for the past five years and has witnessed many romantic moments, including several proposals. One time a man asked the Polaris staff to place an engagement ring in a champagne glass. Another time, a woman ordered a dessert but instead was brought a plate that had "Will you marry me?" written on it in raspberry purée. But Karczewski said most often guys tend to be more traditional and will bend on one knee to propose. Then everyone else in the restaurant claps.

Local eateries and gift shops aren't the only ones that see an increase in business on the holiday. Sites like the Milwaukee Art Museum are also popular spots for sweethearts.

"It's a great place if you want to impress your date and do something fun and cultural," said Katie Heldstab, media relations coordinator at the museum.

Heldstab said she expects to see a lot of couples strolling through the galleries this year in particular because Valentine's Day falls on a Wednesday, which is County Residents Day at the museum and Milwaukee residents get in free. Heldstab said college students can save money with a trip to the art museum and use it instead on a nice dinner.

But if that isn't to your liking, then if you still have the rest of today to come up some ideas.