Top 5 coffee shops

2. Rochambo, 1317 E. Brady St.,”

1. Fuel Cafe, 818 E. Center St. Fuel appears to be just another smoky coffee shop with mismatched furniture and a clientele that resists the 9-to-5, but it actually has a menu of more than 20 sandwiches and serves Alterra coffee.

2. Rochambo, 1317 E. Brady St. Known more for its tea than its coffee, the two-level (smoking on the second floor) is very accommodating and artsy, especially on open mic nights. Ask for the white tea with berries in it – it looks like water but it's awesome.

3. Brewing Grounds for Change, 2010 N. Farwell Ave. Milwaukee's only 100 percent fair trade establishment, conveniently located off the 30 bus line. You can also research why fair trade is important on the free Internet that's provided.

4. The Brews, multiple campus locations While other items may be overpriced, the coffee is reasonable and the service is outstanding. The convenience is perfect for before class, and the coffee is usually cheaper per ounce when you have your own mug. (Please visit when I work in Cudahy.)

5. Coffee with a Conscience, Milwaukee Public Library Peruse used books for sale or just study in this inherently serene location. It's open during the day and is worth the stop. The library also has permanent art featured on the second floor to inspire some conversation.