Distance runners pace squad at Notre Dame

Sophomore Scott Mueller and junior Cassie Peller won the 3,000-meter men's and women's runs at the Notre Dame Invitational.,”

It should be no shock that the men's and women's track and field teams had their best outings of the year Friday. After all, they were in South Bend, Ind., competing against the Fighting Irish.

Sophomore Scott Mueller and junior Cassie Peller won the 3,000-meter men's and women's runs at the Notre Dame Invitational. Freshman Jayne Grebinski was the runner-up, finishing less than a second behind Peller. Senior Michaela Courtney also qualified for the Big East Indoor Championships in the 3,000m in her first meet of the indoor season.

"Notre Dame is always a great rival," Mueller said. "They're always pretty close in competition. Anytime Notre Dame is in the lineup, it's going to be a lot of fun."

Marquette's distance runners quickly are shaping up to be the backbone of the women's squad. Peller has been one of the team's most valuable athletes, already having qualified in the 800m, mile and 3,000m.

In all, the Golden Eagles qualified eight athletes Friday. Juniors Heidi Lindeman and Kaitlyn Chambers qualified in the mile with times of 5:04.78 and 5:06.84, respectively. Senior Kristina Malin won the 500m in 1:15.24, with freshman Kaitlin Millin finishing second (1:15.98).

"There are two things we want to focus on," said head coach Dave Uhrich. "One, getting qualified for the conference meet. But then we also need to keep improving so that when we get there, we have some people who place."

So far, the women have 21 qualifying marks, while Marquette's men have 16.

Uhrich said thinks his team greatly anticipates meets in South Bend not only because of the rivalry, but also because the Fighting Irish have one of the best indoor facilities in the nation. Marquette will return to South Bend this weekend for the Meyo Invitational, where many of the country's strongest programs will compete.