Women’s tennis drops first match

“I think they all realized that there were points in the matches where they could have done things better and should have known to have done things better,” said head coach Jody Bronson.,”Although the women’s tennis team fell to Illinois 4-3 on Saturday, Marquette showed growth and the prospect for stronger play in the future.

“I think they all realized that there were points in the matches where they could have done things better and should have known to have done things better,” said head coach Jody Bronson. “They’re very together and all on the same page. I think we all recognize that there’s a lot of talent on this team.”

One of the best examples of this potential was junior Erin Watkins’ 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 (3) victory over Illinois’ Shivani Dave in No. 4 singles.

“From losing that second set 6-0 and being able to come back and win the match, that was a really big step for her,” Bronson said.

Assistant coach Heather Saluri agreed.

“She was the last one on and she had the closest match,” Saluri said. “To come back in that third set and turn it around again – she’s improved a lot from the fall season to the spring season in the way she plays and in her confidence.

“I think the girls came out with a lot of intensity and a lot of confidence, and it showed,” Saluri added. “They kept up their energy throughout the whole match and played very well.”

Sophomore Lauren Little and junior Shannon Brown, paired together for the first time, lost in No. 1 doubles 9-8 (4) to Illinois’ Megan Fudge and Bryce Marable.

“We need to be a little more aggressive at the net and make sure we’re focusing on every point,” Little said.”,”Sara J. Martinez”