Ten Questions: Joe Neve

Joe Neve, a 1991 graduate of the College of Business Administration, was recently named president of Avada Audiology and Hearing Care Centers, based in Minnetonka, Minn.

1. What was your major at Marquette and why did you choose it?

I majored in finance and marketing. I wanted to be in business. Actually, I started as an accounting major because my parents are both CPAs and that's what I thought I wanted to do. But after taking my first class in accounting I quickly decided I didn't want to do that. I really enjoyed finance and marketing though.

2. Does anything specific from your time at Marquette contribute most to your current career?

Yes, I'm involved directly with marketing so the classes I took helped me contribute a lot to that aspect of my job. I've used a lot of the concepts I learned about target marketing, which has helped us bring in a lot of potential patients.

3. What did you do right after you graduated from Marquette?

Right after graduation I was in training to be a hearing instrument dispenser. My parents own Avada Hearing Care, so I became a salesperson testing and fitting people for hearing instruments. It was very exciting because I was able to change a person's quality of life.

4. Why did you switch from business to audiology?

I really liked what I was doing as a hearing instrument dispenser, so I went back to school to become an audiologist. I got my degree from the University of Minnesota's Department of Communication Disorders in 1996.

5. What does an audiologist do?

An audiologist is trained in disorders of the hearing and balance system. We do diagnostic testing to uncover and diagnose hearing, balance and dizziness disorders. We help diagnose kids that might have severe ear infections and sometimes put tubes in their ears to drain the liquid. We also provide hearing instruments to help people with their communication abilities.

6. What kinds of patients do you work with?

We see mostly people in the geriatric population, typically people over 55 and 65. We do see some kids, but it's mostly adults because hearing loss is part of the natural aging process.

7. Why did you choose to go into audiology?

My parents started working in audiology in 1988. I would help them with different projects within accounting when I was still in school. My dad wanted me to carry on in the business. I thought I would give it a try for a year and I really enjoyed it, but decided I needed more formalized education. I'm currently enrolled in a doctorate program at the University of Florida.

8. What does your current job entail?

I was just recently promoted to president. I used to be the director of audiology. So before I was president I trained and supervised our audiologists and hearing instrument dispensers. I was also involved in marketing and was our "computer expert." I haven't done a whole lot yet as president; I'm just getting my feet wet with running the company. I help with direction, keeping people on track with projects they're on. My goal is to focus on patient care because we want to ensure that we provide the top patient care.

9. What do you like most about your job?

It's been really gratifying working with my family. My mother, father, brother and I all work together. My whole family is in the business. My dad is sort of my mentor. It's been wonderful working with him and learning from him. He's taught me many aspects of running a business. I enjoy being able to help people with their hearing. Being able to love what I do in a warm, family atmosphere has been really rewarding.

10. What advice would you give to a current Marquette student?

I would tell all students that their education at Marquette is only the beginning. It establishes the foundation of knowledge, but you are constantly learning. I would encourage students to take extra courses, learn new ways to improve your skills and knowledge. The only thing certain in life is change, so you need to continue to improve yourself to help you climb the ladder of success as the world changes. You also need to have a balance between work, your personal life and your spiritual life.