Art class doubles as ‘Project Runway’ for fashionistas

[email protected]

Critique day in art class at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design AM greatly resembles the portion of "Project Runway" when all the designers line up and defend their garments. The stares of your peers feel as invasive as bright television lights, and although the art pieces should speak for themselves, artists have a chance to explain their vision.,”

Critique day in art class at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design greatly resembles the portion of "Project Runway" when all the designers line up and defend their garments. The stares of your peers feel as invasive as bright television lights, and although the art pieces should speak for themselves, artists have a chance to explain their vision.

The difference is that the contestants/students are also the judges. I registered for Art as Social Commentary because of a space in my schedule for 1.5 credits (I know, weird number). The varying projects we had to complete illuminated different student's personalities, many of which resembled those on the television show.

There's the Michael Kors (established designer and judge on "PR") of art class – the kid who completes his projects with ease. Because Kors' doppelganger has delusions of his future success as mammoth as his ego, he will tell you if your project sucks with little tact and even less constructive criticism, without half as much humor as his counterpart.

Then there's Heidi Klum's personality equivalent. Heidi's conventional beauty lends itself to nothing less than model proportions; this girl could be nothing else but an art student because she finds beauty in everything. It is a wonder she can narrow her project ideas because, to her, a rock has as much intrinsic meaning as an entire landscape. She can wear the hat of an art student well, much like how Heidi can "walk" the hell out of an outfit. Though her explanations are inspired, she simply hasn't developed a critical eye yet.

Our teacher's insightful and helpful manner reminds me of Tim Gunn (Chair of Department of Fashion Design at Parsons in New York).

Different projects also present challenges akin to those on "PR," but with less drama. Creativity is sometimes limited to your materials, and the only thing poorer than a college student is a college art student. Students are usually able to put their imprint on most projects, much like the show. Since only egos and grades are at stake, and not a cash prize, the environment is one of collective creativity. Large windows frame daydreams and lend a perspective to our endeavors, as the vastness of the buildings in the Third Ward makes some color on a canvas seem insignificant.

I imagined we'd have intense discussions about art, but modern art has stretched this definition so far that it is hard to criticize others' pieces.

Despite this obstacle, some universal guidelines of what constitutes "good" art exist. Solid construction, a clear point of view and composition can still separate quality of art in our post-modern times. Previous students have tried to evade these guidelines. It's still illegal to burn a dead squirrel, even in the name of art, as our teacher relayed to us from past experience.

Much like the lyrics from a Superchunk song, "Art Class (Song for Yayoi Kusama)" say, "Welcome to art class, and yes, it does involve shaking your ass" sound better with the music behind it, I learned your art looks better if it has meaning behind it. Meaning comes from the artworks' importance in society, not bright TV lights and a large audience.