Flurry eases return to class

Students can beat the back-to-school blues by attending Winter Flurry, a week-long celebration in which students have many opportunities to have fun during the first week of classes.

Winter Flurry kicks off today with a performance by illusionist Mike Super, said Corey Lansing, coordinator for campus programs in the Office of Student Development.

Super is "young, energetic and good at what he does," Lansing said.

The performance will be held at 8 p.m. in the Varsity Theatre.

On Wednesday, students interested in finding out more about Marquette's many organizations can attend Winter Organization Fest from 1 to 4 p.m. on the first floor of the Alumni Memorial Union.

Approximately 60 organizations will be featured at O-Fest, including the Running Club, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship and the Association of Information Technology Professionals, said Pamela Peters, coordinator for student organizations and leadership in OSD.

"Winter O-Fest is a lot smaller than the back-to-school O-Fest because we don't have as much space," she said.

Last semester's O-Fest was held behind the John P. Raynor, S.J. Library on the Central Mall.

O-Fest is "really good for freshmen," said Charlie Van Scyoc, co-director of Best Buddies and College of Communication junior.

"It gives them the opportunity to see what Marquette has to offer," he said.

Van Scyoc said Best Buddies gets approximately half of its sign-ups through O-Fest each semester.

In the past, students who have attended O-Fest have been "amazed at all the organizations that existed," Peters said.

"It's important to get involved on campus in general." she said. "Student organizations are a good way (to get involved) because they teach leadership skills and teamwork to their members. These skills are transferable to the real world once you get out of college."

Wednesday evening, the Spotlight Talent Show will be featured in the Weasler Auditorium at 9 p.m. and 11 p.m., said Zea Urbiztondo, junior in the College of Health Sciences and assistant director of the Winter Flurry Committee.

Acts will include an Irish dancer, a guitarist, a singer and an acapella group, she said.

On Thursday, "Snowed-In," Winter Flurry's version of Late Night, will be held from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the AMU, Urbiztondo said.

Events planned for the evening include televising the Marquette basketball game against DePaul as well as showing the film "Pirates of the Caribbean," she said.

On Friday, a pep rally will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the Annex, Urbiztondo said.

At 9 p.m., students can visit the third floor of the AMU to see "Premium Blend Comedy," in which comedians Daniel Tosh and Steve Byrne will perform, she said.

At 11 a.m. on Saturday, a tailgate before the basketball game with Marquette and the Charlotte 49ers will be held outside the Bradley Center, Urbiztondo said.

Saturday evening, the Snowball Dance will be held from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the AMU, she said. Music will include an acapella group "Blue Jupiter" as well as a disc jockey.

"The events planned for Winter Flurry are all put on specifically for students," Urbiztondo said. "After the break, it's a good time for everyone to hang out with their friends before classes start to get really hard."

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Jan. 18 2005.