Straight women applaud Bravo’s Gal Pals

The Bravo network hopes to cash in on the "Queer Eye" craze, which hit the nation after first introducing the Fab Five, with its newest series, "Queer Eye for the Straight Girl."

The network adds more than one girl into its formula with the addition of both the straight girl and Honey Labrador, the lesbian of the new "Queer Eye" team, also known as the Gal Pals. The concept is the same: hopeless straight person meets "Queer Eyes," "Queer Eyes" attempt to change hopeless straight person's life with etiquette, cleaning of dwellings and a makeover.

The Gal Pals are Robbie Laughlin ("The Look"), Damon Pease ("The Locale"), Danny Teeson ("The Life"), and Labrador ("The Lady"). The four L's are charged with the same basic duties as the Fab Five — grooming, food, fashion, culture and design.

The one difference, once again, has to do with Labrador's role as "The Lady." She's there to basically add to whatever the other three stars have already done and just give a boost to the girl's confidence.

Bravo ran a commercial with both "Queer Eye" casts and Carson Kressley of "Straight Guy" says he's heard girls are easier to makeover than guys. The first three episodes, the fourth having aired at 9 p.m. Wednesday, seem to prove Kressley's statement.

The straight girls all seem to have OK lives. The main thing they need is that boost in confidence, and then they also get the perks that come along with the show.

Compared to the pigsties that some of the straight guys were living in, the Gal Pals certainly have an easier time. However, the tears flow a lot easier as well. Whether it's a personal story or the unveiling of a room, the straight girls know how to turn on the waterworks.

In the first episode, Nicole was dealing with her 30th birthday, the death of her father and unrequited love. Nicole's "ultimate" sandwich — one made without dirtying a plate — was definitely the most hopeless moment in the episode.

This premiere episode also debuted "The Hunky Helpers," who are a group of good-looking males set to help Pease redecorate. Now we know Thom Filicia of "Straight Guy" wasn't really painting and moving furniture on his own.

Rebekah is looking for romance after not having a date in two years. She looks to Hurry Dating — or speed dating — to find her match, with an entire box of condoms in her purse.

The third episode needed to be kicked up a notch, so how about an untraditional wedding proposal? Former anorexic and current therapist Melissa gets a little help from the Gal Pals to pop the question. It almost seems like she won't, but she just waits for the right moment and gets the right answer.

The one major problem with the show is the fact there is no standout character, like Kressley on "Straight Guy." Instead it seems more like each Gal Pal is in competition for the right amount of attention. However, "Queer Eye for the Straight Girl" seems to get better with every episode.

Grade: B

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Jan. 27 2005.