Assistance needed for pregnant mothers

Marquette University has been well known for its attempts to live the Jesuit motto: "cure personalis." Many academic and student organizations work for social welfare and justice for the less fortunate. We have Midnight Run which reaches out to the needy and hungry of the community. JUSTICE has been known especially for its exceptional work to fight for free trade coffee. Our group, Marquette Students for Life, have sponsored runs, baby showers, and other fundraisers to help young single mothers.

It is wonderful that we are reaching out to others in the surrounding community and around the world. I applaud these efforts, but at the same time I cannot ignore the fact that more can be done for members of the Marquette Community. On the eve of the 32nd anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, I find that the university has few if any resources to help students who find themselves pregnant. The Alan Guttmacher Research Institute states that ten percent of college age women get pregnant each year, yet I am sure we do not see many pregnant students on campuses. That is because many either choose to have abortions due to the lack of financial and emotional support or they drop out school to work and take care of their child. I would like to offer the following resolutions that Marquette should offer pregnant students if they have not done so already.

For instance, the Student Health Services already offers free pregnancy tests, but they should also make them confidential if they have not done so already. Many women fear that their parents will find out they had a pregnancy test because it will show up on charges on insurance bills. Free and confidential tests can help women get the care they need without the fear of stigma.

Second, the university should offer special housing for single mothers who need a quieter environment than most places can afford. It could also be a place for single moms to find support from others who are in a similar situation.

Third, free or low cost child care should be offered to allow these women to continue their degree and to graduate. Women should not have to choose between finishing school and having a child. Currently, I hear there are forty-four children on the waitlist. The child care facilities do not meet the current demand now nor will they be available for pregnant students after they give birth.

Also, limited financial support and loans should be given to help single moms continue their education and take care of their child. Special work-study programs could maybe set up to help defray the costs of living.

Finally, special free counseling should be offered which gives emotional support and advice to help these women deal with the stress of school and raising a child or with adoption. It could also be a chance to get the fathers involved with helping out with the care of their children too.

If the University does offer such emotional and financial support, then it needs to do a better job to make students aware of its availability. It appears to me that no students or even RA's are aware of any such support or what students should do if they find themselves pregnant.

I am calling on the University of Marquette Administration to address this urgent issue. Other Jesuit Universities, such as Georgetown, have programs in place to assist pregnant students. If necessary, the school can call on the assistance of Feminists for Life who has a College Outreach program designed to help colleges offer resources for pregnant and parenting students. lso, the RHA should advertise these resources so students are aware of them.

In the meantime, students can get free, confidential pregnancy tests and counseling from the Pregnancy Help Center of Milwaukee at 414 645 4050.

Thomas Jensen is a senior in the college of Health Sciences.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Feb. 1 2005.