Bridge in abortion gap unlikely

Groups opposing or supporting abortion rights rarely find any middle ground, but one Wisconsin group is trying to narrow the gap.

NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin, in conjunction with its national sponsor NARAL Pro-Choice America, is reaching out to groups and law makers who oppose abortion rights. Its goal is to bring both sides of the debate together, to form solutions to problems such as unintended pregnancies, which can lead to abortions, according to Kelda Helen Roys, executive director of the group.

One local group opposed to abortion rights does not seem to be on board for cooperation, because of differences in definition concerning when a pregnancy begins and the function of some birth control methods.

In February, NARAL pro-choice's Wisconsin members, who hail from all parts of the state, sent letters to their elected officials urging them to support, "no-brainier, common sense legislation" that would help limit unintended pregnancies, Roys said.

"A lot of legislators who oppose abortion oppose it because they are opposed to birth control," Roys said. "It is sad that law makers will let personal views get in the way of their duty to legislate on behalf of the majority of their constituents."

While the legislation itself is not yet written, there are several steps that can be taken to stop unintended pregnancies, Roys said.

"Access to good birth control, comprehensive sexual education classes and access to over-the-counter emergency contraceptive for sexual assault victims (are) all key in preventing unwanted pregnancies," Roys said.

Roys said NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin, like its counterparts that do not support abortion rights, would like to end the need for abortion by ending unwanted pregnancies.

Pro-Life Wisconsin has concerns about working together with groups favoring abortion rights, according to Matt Sande the director of legislative affairs for Pro-Life Wisconsin.

Sande said the increasing number of what are called chemical abortions is an alarming concern for Pro-Life Wisconsin, and before any alliance can be made, these issues need to be dealt with.

The most disconcerting type of chemical abortion for Pro-Life Wisconsin occurs after fertilization has occurred. The so-called "morning after pill," RU-486, cuts the newly formed embryo off from nourishment, effectively starving it to death, Sande said.

Sande said groups supporting abortion rights arbitrarily define pregnancy to suit their own beliefs.

"Pro-choice groups often define pregnancy not as the point of fertilization, but the point where that newly formed embryo receives nourishment which is a later stage, this definition defies modern science," he said.

"Embryological science says that life begins at fertilization," Sande said. "Because of this, anything done to stop a pregnancy after the point of fertilization is considered taking a life."

Partnerships between groups for and against abortion rights are a rarity, according to Christopher Wolfe, a professor in the political science department.

"Groups like these … have not tried to work together in the past," Wolfe said.

Wolfe said organizations against abortion rights often will not take stands on controversial issues such as birth control because they are so politically controversial. Because these groups do not take stands, it makes cooperation between the two sides difficult.

"Pro-life groups will not take a stand on issues such as birth control because often times their members are divided on such issues," Wolfe said.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Mar. 3 2005.