All around the town

Welcome to Milwaukee. Within reach of campus exist the many entertaining locations often mentioned in Marquee. If you're a freshman, here's an introduction to the city that will be your home for the next few years. For those returning students, this is your refresher course.

By no means is this a complete list. In Milwaukee, new and interesting places pop up daily. The concert halls, museums, theaters and hot spots listed here should give you a good head start. However, the best place to start is right here on campus.

The Varsity Theatre

1324 W. Wisconsin Ave.

This is the place on campus for concerts, lectures and weekend movies. Each weekend the Varsity box office brings MU feature films for less on the weekends. The movie season starts Thursday with an outdoor showing of the animated film "Madagascar" and then it moves in doors Friday.

More information is available by calling (414) 288-7250

The Union Sports Annex

16th Street and Wells Avenue

The Annex is a bowling alley, restaurant/bar and concert hall all in one. If you're looking for good food and bargain bowling, this is the place. Besides being a hot spot for sports fans to congregate, karaoke singers can show off their skills.

More information is available by calling (414) 288-7769

The Helfaer Theatre

13th Street and Clybourn Street

This is the center for Marquette's performing arts department. Last year's shows included "Dead Man Walking" and "Bye Bye Birdie." Go to a performance and support the budding actors and actresses on campus.

More information is available by calling (414) 288-7504

The Haggerty Museum of Art

13th and Clybourn Street

If you're an art fan, a trip to the Haggerty Museum is a must. Not only does the museum bring in fascinating exhibitions, but its permanent collection is one to rave about. The next exhibition, entitled "The Flowering Amazon," opens Sept. 8.

More information is available by calling (414) 288-1669

Shank Hall

1434 N. Farwell Ave.

This is one of the premier, yet exclusive concert venues in Milwaukee. The venue can hold 300 people at most, which provides for an intimate experience, but since there is a bar, the age limit for all shows is 21+.

More information is available by calling (414) 276-7288 or by visiting www.shankhall.com

Mad Planet

533 E. Center St.

The Riverwest club is the place for rock music. With shows for all ages and the 21+ crowd, Mad Planet can please all.

More info available by calling (414) 263-4555 or by visiting www.mad-planet.net

The Rave

2401 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Basically located right on campus, the Rave is one of those places where there is always something going on. Standing room only unless you pay for reserved seating. The schedule is ever-changing and provides concerts for every musical taste.

More information is available by calling (414) 342-7283 or by visiting www.therave.com

The Milwaukee Art Museum

700 N. Art Museum Drive

The building itself is a work of art, and MAM also provides the public with plenty of eye-catching works. The current exhibit, "CUT/Film as Found Object," features video as art. The innovative exhibit will be closing Sept. 11.

More information is available by calling (414) 224-3200 or by visiting www.mam.org

The Milwaukee Public Museum

800 W. Wells St.

We may spend all week in classes so additional education may seem boring, but MPM provides a few exhibits that are interesting and fun. Watch a movie — now showing is "Spiderman 2" — at the Humphrey IMAX Dome or visit the Puelicher Butterfly Wing that houses live butterflies.

More information is available by calling (414) 278-2702 or by visiting www.mpm.edu

Milwaukee Repertory Theater

108 E. Wells St.

The newest season begins Sept. 7 with the comedy "A Flea in Her Ear" and continues with the musical tribute to Rosemary Clooney on Sept. 9.

More information is available by calling (414) 224-9490 or by visiting www.milwaukeerep.com

Landmark Oriental Theatre

2230 N. Farwell Ave.

The Oriental is known for indie and foreign films along with the occasional cult musical film. Currently there are three movies playing: "The Aristocrats," "Broken Flowers" and "Grizzly Man."

More information is available by calling (414) 276-8711

Pabst Theater

144 E. Wells St.

The historic Pabst Theater caters to both the cultural and musical. Upcoming shows include songsters like Liz Phair and Aqualung and performances of "Menopause the Musical."

More information is available by calling (414) 286-3663 or by visiting www.pabsttheater.org

Mocha

124 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Open almost 24 hours a day, Mocha is a great place to socialize and study. The menu won't disappoint — there are plenty of beverages containing the signature flavor.

More information is available by calling (414) 276-6242 or by visiting www.mosmocha.com

Grand Avenue

275 W. Wisconsin Ave.

The nearest shopping mall to campus comes complete with stores like The Gap and Old Navy and an expansive food court. For entertainment lovers, Grand Ave. provides Sam Goody, Music Recyclery and Game Stop.

More information is available by calling (414) 224-0655 or by visiting www.grandavenueshops.com

Borders

101 W. Wisconsin Ave.

Another place which is good to study at. The Borders café has tables and beverages if you need them. If you have extra time, there are plenty of books to browse through.

More information is available by calling (414) 225-9977 or by visiting www.borders.com

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 1, 2005.