MUSG clarifies money allocation policy

Marquette Student Government on Thursday moved to clarify its funding policies for charitable organizations and to fix a financial loophole that had allowed student organizations to receive money from multiple MUSG departments.

The senators determined that charitable groups cannot use the money as a donation or for fundraisers, but they may receive it after applying through the same process as other student organizations if they can demonstrate that their work benefits students and the university.

"If an organization wants to have an event to promote community service, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to apply for student organization allocation funds," said Declan Glynn, legislative vice president of MUSG Senate and a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

The amendment to the financial policy concerning service organizations was proposed in order to fulfill Marquette's mission, Glynn said. Although MUSG cannot donate directly to a charity, it supports the promotion of service activities.

MUSG also voted to prevent organizations from obtaining funds from multiple departments for co-sponsorship of events. The amendment came in response to a concern that organizations would attempt to "double-dip" between departments.

"By avoiding double-dipping, they all have the same opportunity as other student organizations," Glynn said. "If we're funding every aspect of it it's not a co-sponsored event."

The update to the financial policies also removes a $750 limit on funding requests from student organizations and club sports. In the past, organizations have needed paperwork to lift the limit and request more money, said Timothy Smith, a senator on the Business and Government committee and a sophomore in the College of Business Administration.

"The financial office still has the power to request financial information from these organizations so we're still not running the risk of giving money to financially unstable organizations," Smith said.

Also at the meeting, MUSG voted to move the appointment of senators to the Budget Committee and SOA Committee to the second week after the spring and fall elections and added a more thorough application period for the committees.

Smith, who co-authored the amendment with Glynn, said this would ensure that senators are familiar with the committees and informed about the candidates and their skills.

Peter Burke, president of Club Ultimate Frisbee and a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, also spoke to MUSG about the lack of quality field space with new levels of participation in the sport. He expressed concern over competition with club rugby for space and the fear of losing new members.

Anna Sobus, a junior in the College of Business Administration, reported to the other senators that there will be a period of time when both Wisconsin Avenue and Clybourn Street will be closed as a result of the demolition of the Wisconsin Avenue bridge, leaving Wells Street as a detour route.

Sobus said 75 percent of Carpenter Tower residents will be affected by the bridge's destruction in December. The Interchange Steering Committee is proposing more LIMOs and a shuttle to transport residents of Straz Tower to campus after the bridge is destroyed.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 20, 2005.