Running for kids

Lifesavers, soldiers and an army joined the ranks in fundraising for Children's Hospital, and supported their own causes, at the 28th annual Briggs and Al's Run and Walk.

"Walkin' for Gaby's Lifesavers," "Zach Attack," "Sofie's Soldiers," "Sydney's Angel Army" and "One heart touches many" were just some of the groups that participated in the event on Saturday.

Lori Birchbauer was one of "Sofie's Soldiers," named for Sofie Loppnow, who died last year. This was Birchbauer's fourth year at Al's Run.

"I am very happy to be here," she said.

Other participants included families directly connected to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. When Dan Rothwell, the son of Lynn and Greg Rothwell of Kenosha, was born eight years ago, he fought for his life for three months at the Children's Hospital.

"We are very thankful to the staff; we are very blessed," said Lynn Rothwell. Dan, along with his sister Paige, joined them for the 3-mile walk for their seventh year.

First-time participants were also present. School of Education freshman Michelle Gautreaux got up early Saturday morning to run for a good cause. Though Gautreaux was "a little tired" before the race, fatigue did not stop her from being excited about helping the Children's Hospital.

"I'm doing it because it's a great way to stay in shape, and it's for a good cause," she said. "Seeing the people here shows me how much Milwaukee cares. Hopefully, we can all make a difference."

Gautreaux planned on running the 8K and was with the McCormick Hall team.

College of Arts & Sciences senior Kristin Cranor was also a first-time participant. Cranor had wanted to participate in previous years but had always been busy.

"I'm excited that I'm participating in this great tradition," she said. "It seems like everyone's here for the right reason — the children."

Supporting the children seemed to be a concurrent theme.

"Family, children and all types of people are supporting this fundraiser," said volunteer Elizabeth Moran of Milwaukee. "It is a good experience. I am happy to provide the participants with water."

Briggs and Al's Run and Walk started on the Marquette campus at12th Street and Wisconsin Avenue and ended near Henry Maier Festival Park. There were 3- and 5-mile walks and an 8K run.

The race not only benefited the children but also tested the determination of the runners. Throughout the race, Gautreaux challenged herself.

"I saw determined people of different ages around me and that motivated me to finish the race alongside them," she said. "The race taught me that even though challenges may be tough, it's important to keep going until you reach your goal, which in my case would be to finish the race," she said.

The top finishers overall in the men's, women's and wheelchair divisions were, respectively, Tim Keller of Milwaukee, 24:24; Jenny Crain of Milwaukee, 27:39; and Gary Debuhr of Waukesha, 24:43.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 27, 2005.,”James A. Molnar”