Hermanny vetoes finance bill

Citing concern over a possible loophole in the wording of an amendment to financial policies concerning charitable organizations, Marquette Student Government President Alex Hermanny vetoed Thursday the financial clarification bill passed by the Senate two weeks ago.

The measure would have clarified policies concerning funds for charitable organizations and prevented student organizations from "double-dipping" into committee money.

"The point of it is great. The way it was worded wasn't ideal," said Hermanny, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

The Senate did not attempt to override the veto.

Thursday's MUSG meeting was the first for the newly elected residential senators, several of whom assumed new positions on internal committees.

Four returning senators were selected as committee chairs.

Amanda Michel, a senior and senator for the College of Arts & Sciences, will chair the academics committee, while Timothy Smith, a sophomore and senator for the College of Business Administration, will chair the business and government committee.

Sara Stellpflug, a sophomore and senator for the College of Arts & Sciences, will be chair of the student life committee. College of Business Administration sophomore John Connors, senator for Schroeder Hall, will chair the business and government committee.

Jason Rae, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, was appointed as the Senate's new parliamentarian, the person who makes sure meetings follow proper protocol.

The Commuter Student Association also appointed Scott Leutenegger, a junior in the College of Business Administration, as one of two commuter senators. The second commuter position is still open, as are two off-campus senatorial seats.

Mary Rogers, a freshman in the College of Communication, will take over as the MUSG DogEars representative.

Program Vice President Chris Hoff, a senior in the College of Health Sciences, also announced plans for Marquette's homecoming events, which begin Oct. 12.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on October 4, 2005.