Eagles go 2-2 at ITA

The fall season seems to be over just as soon as it began for the Marquette women's tennis team.

The Golden Eagles played in only four tournaments this fall, registering a 19-27 record in combined individual singles play. They fared better in doubles, posting a 15-15 mark.

Erin Watkins represented Marquette Friday through Sunday at the ITA Regional Championships hosted by Michigan State . She defeated Northwestern's Alexis Conill 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in the singles portion of the tournament early Thursday. Watkins did not make it past the next round, however. Iowa's Merel Beelen beat Watkins 6-4, 7-5, later Thursday. Watkins came back Friday, as she teamed with Dominika Dabrowski to split two doubles matches. The tandem did not advance.

For the rest of the fall semester, NCAA regulations allow six hours of conditioning and two hours of tennis per week.

"We need to make sure we get everyone healthy, and keep up what we've been doing in the past couple of months," said assistant coach Valerie Vladea. "We had a few injuries holding us back this fall. Right now is the hardest part of the season because they've worked so hard preparing, and now there is a two-month layoff."

Vladea went on to talk about what difference shifting to the Big East makes this season.

"The competition is definitely a lot greater than it was in Conference USA," she said. "But that presents a great opportunity. Now we can recruit in the Northeast, not just the Midwest."