Fourth movie in ‘Harry Potter’ series on ‘Fire’

The fourth, anticipated movie in the "Harry Potter" series, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is set to open at midnight; it won't disappoint. "Goblet of Fire" packs enough action, romance, comedy and heartache to glue any moviegoer, diehard fan or not, to his seat.

Turning the 700-plus page book into a single movie was no easy feat; there were even talks of splitting the book into two movies. However, the first British director to tackle the series, Mike Newell ("Mona Lisa Smile"), took on the daunting task and did an amazing job.

The movie opens as Lord Voldemort gives orders to his minions, complete with a snake-like voice, while the caretaker of the home listens at the door. That muggle's fate was sealed. The scene turns out to be something that "The Boy Who Lived" — Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) for those of you who didn't know — is dreaming about. Not all dreams are creations of the mind.

Harry and his friends Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) and Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) are in their fourth year at Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft. Prior to school starting, the friends are treated to the Quidditch World Cup, the Superbowl of the magical world. The fun is cut short by the appearance of Voldemort's supporters, the Death Eaters who wear hooded cloaks and skull masks, and the mark of the Dark Lord — the Dark Mark — in the sky.

This year, as seen by these events plus his infamous, lightning bolt scar hurting him, is not going to be a normal year at school. This year holds the Triwizard Tournament, a competition between three wizarding schools: Beauxbatons, Durmstrang as well as Hogwarts.

Each school will be represented by a champion chosen by the Goblet of Fire. From Beauxbatons, Fleur Delacour (Clémence Poésy); from Durmstrang, Viktor Krum (Stanislav Ianevski); from Hogwarts, Cedric Diggory (Robert Pattinson), but the Goblet of Fire also spits out Harry's name. From then on, Harry's year at school becomes a whirlwind of classes, tournament tasks, problems in love and Voldemort; you thought your life was crazy.

Some of those diehard fans are worried that the movie would veer too far away from the plotline of the book. Put those fears aside, by far this is the best movie in the series. There are of course a few Hollywood liberties taken, but Newell and the screenplay writers were able to keep their vision and still keep true to J.K. Rowling's novel.

Part of the success is also because of the actors. The three leads, Radcliffe, Watson and Grint have truly grown into their characters and are wonderful to watch on screen. It's hard to believe the children who were in the first two movies, barely believable delivering their lines, were able to evolve into the teenagers who are now full-blown stars in their own right.

The stable characters are lively and seem to take great pleasure in their roles. The newest additions to the already large cast do not detract from the movie either. The hatemail Katie Leung received when she was first announced as Cho Chang, the object of Harry's affection was definitely unnecessary; she was perfect in the role. Brendan Gleeson stepped into the role of Alastor 'Mad Eye' Moody — a man full of paranoia and who has a magical eye — with ease.

This movie also marks the first appearance of Lord Voldemort in-the-flesh, so to speak. Ralph Fiennes ("The Constant Gardener") slithers into the role, making the Dark Lord scary enough to even strike fear into the adult moviegoer. By his appearance alone, the PG-13 rating given to the flick is warranted.

Grade: A