Perfect ‘Season’ for ‘Rent’

In a move of directorial liberty, "Rent" begins with its most recognizable track, "Seasons of Love," on a bare stage. The move frames the film's stark, simple and universal message of love and acceptance, rather than simply being about AIDS or drugs. The track "No Day but Today" is also included in the film (as some songs were cut for time constraints) and solidifies the message.

When landlord Benjamin (Taye Diggs) takes back an offer of a year of free rent, his tenants are hit hard. They begin to intensify their work in their respective arts — whether it be film, music, performance art or stripping — all while dealing with everyday issues. Set to the disparaging backdrop of Lower East Side Manhattan in the 1980s, the film has a believable but different tone than movies of the same time, such as "Wayne's World."

Free from the stage's omnipresent possibility of having "a bad night," the film takes purposeful steps to milk the opportunity.

Director Chris Columbus ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone") wanted more of a rock feel in the rock opera's score, so the songs were recorded like a rock album, in a studio with drums, bass, two guitars and a keyboard, with the vocal tracks added on later.

In addition, six of the eight actors are plucked straight from the Broadway production, and all of them make a flawless transition to the screen.

Rosario Dawson (Mimi) and Tracie Thoms (Joanne) are the newcomers to the material but have no problem blending with the original cast. Dawson looks skinny enough to be a veritable heroin addict and the filmmakers have no shame in displaying her torso, more ribs than meat, in her role as a stripper.

Thoms' throaty singing stands out and adds flavor to her role as the lesbian lawyer who steals Mark's (Anthony Rapp) ex-girlfriend. Mark is an aspiring filmmaker who finds art in everyday life, and does not have AIDS or abuse drugs, though this point is confusing with some of the other characters.

One has to let themselves be swept away by the setting of the movie. Many of the characters wear different, colorful layers of clothing, but all the while the audience is expected to believe the characters still can't pay their rent. Angel (Wilson Jermaine Heredia) is the most flamboyant and outwardly love-giving of the bunch, and wears layers as diverse as his personality. Maureen (Idina Menzel) is usually clothed in flashy black and leather, outfits that reflect her personality and believability, as does Joanne, who is usually seen in a conservative suit.

Roger (Adam Pascal) is clothed believably enough in tight faded jeans, but his voice is distractingly similar to Jon Bon Jovi.

One of the downfalls of the film setting is the snickers from young boys in the audience that abound every time a character burst into song, reminding the audience that they are not in fact at a play, but a movie where the characters are inherently more distanced and less real to the audience.

Overall, the screenplay by Steve Chbosky does not contain holes, and the original intended message of Jonathan Larson (musical book, music, lyrics) is not lost, and succeeds at bringing the more common medium of film to a larger audience.

Grade: AB