Men’s soccer’s offense answers bell, but falls to No. 14 Georgetown

Photo by Meredith Gillespie
Diego Nunez scored Marquette’s only goal in the 10th minute.

Forward Diego Nunez briefly rose to the occasion against No.14 Georgetown, who had previously only given up 6 goals all season, by scoring an equalizer in the 10th minute. Shorly after, the Golden Eagles gave up a second goal and lose by a final of 2-1.

The Hoyas got off to a hot start with a goal in the 8th minute by junior Ethan Lochner, as he was able to get his foot on a rebound given up by keeper Noah Heim, who made his first career start for Marquette.

However, the Golden Eagles (1-7-1) answered back just 30 seconds later as Nunez stole an attempted back pass to the keeper and placed the ensuing shot into the top right corner of the net for his second goal of the season.

There was more action to come in the first 20 minutes, as Georgetown grabbed their second of the game in the 15th minute from Declan McCabe. Defender Patrick Seagrist had a momentary lapse and lost sight of McCabe, who coolly received the ball and  placed it past Heim.

In the second half, Marquette pressed for an equalizer late. An attempt by Connor Alba from the left side in the 78th minute appeared to get past the Georgetown keeper, but was cleared off the line by Hoya defender Peter Schroop.

When the final whistle blew, head coach Louis Bennett still couldn’t believe that Marquette failed to get a second goal.

“It was a game of two halves,” Bennett said. “We didn’t play terribly well in the first half, but in the second half, the momentum swung in our favor and we played much better and created a lot of opportunities and we gave them as much as they could handle.”

Marquette has a massive week ahead; they square off against Wisconsin Wednesday night in Madison and then play BIG EAST preseason favorites Providence on Saturday.

“There’s a lot to do in a short space of time and I think we’re going to need all available players to step up,” Bennett said. “We don’t want to go into Saturday’s game with a tired squad, so I think both teams will be hunting for points.”