“Marquette’s Got Talent” unveils array of students’ gifts

Photo via facebook.com

Marquette’s Got Talent will be featured for the first time during Homecoming. Held in the Varsity Theatre this Thursday, Oct. 6 at 8 p.m. Top student performers were screened to showcase their talents to perform in front of the Marquette community.

Mary Welch, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences who screened the performers, said that there will be 13 different acts set to perform.

“We have a lot of musicians, including guitarists, pianists, rappers and a cappella groups,” Welch said.

Richard Nwabuzor, a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences, is doing a three-minute cover of “Nas Album Done” from DJ Khaled’s Major Key album. The song will consist of two verses and one hook.

“Nas has always been one of my favorite MCs who I regard as one of the greatest of all time, so I was wondering if I could finally top him with this cover,” Nwabuzor said.

The talent show takes on a deeper meaning for Nwabuzor in the message and intent for his performance.

“My goal is to teach and inform some of the MU students to the realities shared by myself and others living in Milwaukee,” Nwabuzor said. “I feel as if many of the students on the campus have little experience with the culture or struggles with those living in the less desirable parts of Milwaukee.”

Nwabuzor said he hopes to share the story of himself and others through the song.

“Rapping is something I felt was born to do, and I feel as if this performance is going to be a golden moment where everything falls in place,” Nwabuzor said.

Tim Sharp, a senior in the College of Engineering, will be playing guitar and singing “Your Guardian Angel” by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

“The aim is similar to the incentive of the performance, to prove to myself that I can do it,” Sharp said. “It’s a great song that most people can relate to, but it’s a bit of an older song,” he said.

Sharp also said he hopes to bring a feeling of nostalgia over the audience.

Paul Dang, a senior in the College of Engineering, is singing and looping for the talent show. A loop is a segment of the music or a specific sound that is repeated.

“The aim of my performance is just to share a groovy song I love, with a full sound,” Dang said.

Dang said that this is his first time performing with a loop station, and because of that, he is a bit nervous.

“There’s something magical about getting to sing while everyone is listening. My nervousness is only matched by my excitement,” Dang said.

Lauren Lee, a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, is singing “She Used to be Mine” from the musical “Waitress.”

Lee said she expects to feel good after her performance because singing is her way of expressing herself.

“This song means a lot to me personally and I can hope that (the audience will) feel an emotional connection out of it just as I did,” Lee said.

Phillip Ghuneim, a junior in the College of Communication, is singing and playing guitar on an Arctic Monkeys song.

Ghuneim said that he hopes the audience will be surprised to hear a popular song in a way they haven’t heard before.

“I want to be able to offer people something that they can’t just hear from the original song, while at the same time, maintaining the characteristics that make the original so great in the first place,” Ghuneim said.

Aside from changing things up, Ghuneim also likes to connect with audiences through his art form.

“I’m passionate about being able to connect with people through music, and I like to view every gig as an opportunity to do so,” Ghuneim said.

Despite the excitement, Dang admitted that this stage performance will be a lot different and that he is really anxious. However, his anxiousness is not a handicap.

“I like being a little anxious before performing because I think it means that I’m keeping my audience in mind,” Ghuneim said. “People are coming to the show in order to support Marquette students and their talents, and so I think the least I can do is try to put on a good show for them.”

Welch said that she expects the Varsity Theatre to be sold out due to the vast array of potential Homecoming audience members.

Welch anticipates that the talent show will be one to remember.

“You can expect an event that showcases a wide variety of talents,” Welch said. “From just screening the groups, I was awestruck by the amount of dedication and love each performer has for their field.”