MUSG elects new Legislative Vice President, allocates $3,000 to Rowing Club

Photo by Maryam Tunio
Photo by Maryam Tunio /[email protected]

After three rounds of voting and hours of debates, Ricky Krajewski, a junior in the College of Health Sciences, was elected Legislative Vice President over competitors Meredith Gillespie, Riley Wogernese and Roberto Santos.

By the third round of voting, Krajewski had the majority with 14 votes. Gillespie received four votes, Wogernese received two, and Santos received one.

The LVP serves as a mentor for Marquette Student Government senators, runs senate meetings and ensures senators have initiatives to work on. Krajewski said he plans to increase senator engagement as LVP.

“I would be a good person to make sure senators have initiatives that are not only meaningful, but that they are passionate about,” Krajewski said. “That being said, I will not be afraid to push senators to their full potential.”

Krajewski said he also plans to increase awareness of MUSG’s presence on campus by inviting student organizations to present during senate meetings.  He said he hopes to increase MUSG’s collaboration with the Career Services Center and sustainability efforts.

Krajewski’s peers commended him for his approachability and experience.

“I have seen senator Krajewski grow and mature, but also maintain his approachability, kindness, creativity and ability to connect with students from all backgrounds,” said Michaela Bear, MUSG senator and junior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Courtney Guc, an MUSG senator and senior in the College of Business Administration, said Krajewski’s experience made him stand out from the other candidates. She went on to cite incorrect information other candidates said during their statements in regards to previous initiatives and legislation.

“Experience trumps everything,” Guc said.  “I see this through some of the mistakes other candidates have made.”

Guc also spoke about how Krajewski’s personality is fitting for the position.

“He’s kind of goofy and kind of silly, but LVP suits him best because the way he has proved himself through the longevity of his career,” Guc said.

In addition to electing LVP, MUSG also voted to allocate money from the reserve fund to club rowing for a Vespoli boat.

The boat cost $5,000 and MUSG will allocate $3,000 for spot funding, which is usually a smaller amount of money. However, there is a surplus from unreimbursed funds from non-club sports. MUSG is now trying to put the excess to good use.

“We won’t always have this opportunity,” said Adam Kouhel, a sophomore in the College of Business Administration and the next executive vice president.  “We don’t want the money to go back to reserve fund.”