EDITORIAL: Lovell caters to more of MU with new initiatives

Bango and Golden Eagle
Illustration by Eleni Eisenhart / [email protected]

In his first State of the University address, University President Michael Lovell announced many developments which will take place in the near future, including plans to build a new athletic facility on the recently acquired Michigan Street property in partnership with the Milwaukee Bucks. These developments present exciting opportunities for the university and could have a great impact on its success for years to come.

Students and student athletes alike will benefit from the planned athletic recreational research center. With its proposed indoor track, soccer and lacrosse fields and specifically research-oriented purpose, the center stands to be a huge draw for prospective students. These athletic programs, which sometimes lack the facilities they need, will get to expand along with the rest of campus.

The Bucks partnership is also a smart investment as it strengthens the university’s ties to the Milwaukee community. It could also develop further with increased opportunities for Marquette students to work within the organization.

The center will cater to university athletics as well as academics, enhancing the experience of student athletes as well as exercise science students. With this, Lovell really is delivering on his promise to help the university expand its presence through its many connections.

It is commendable how Lovell is finding ways to promote different aspects of the university that can be overlooked. Paying attention to athletics as well as other research, mental health and student safety on campus will set Marquette apart. These developments will be exciting to see pan out.

However, with so many changes set to take place over the next few years, it will be important for the sustainability of the university’s growth to not let promising opportunities slip away.

At his Sept. 19 inauguration, Lovell’s speech included the announcement of a university Center for the Advancement of the Humanities. This multi-million dollar center would make humanities research a priority on campus and be yet another selling point for the university. Since its initial announcement, there has been little mention of this project moving forward, and Lovell said nothing of it in the State of the University address.

The lack of forward momentum on this project may not be the university’s greatest concern, but it is something that we should hold the administration accountable for and not forget.

It is obvious that Lovell is able to make the important decisions and connections to help the university grow. Making something come out of these connections requires follow-through and for potential growth to become reality, this needs to take place.

The university is in a unique spot, thanks to the university president’s connections and goals, and it has a lot of different options with which to go. It can be overwhelming to see so many possibilities, but this should not result in inaction or missed opportunities which can ultimately have greater impact.

Marquette will no doubt progress positively; to ensure it, however, Lovell must remember to stay true to his promises.