Battles against Georgetown, Creighton in store for Marquette

Men’s Soccer: Marquette vs. No. 4 Creighton, Saturday, Oct. 12, 7:05 p.m., Valley Fields

Soccer powerhouse Creighton comes to town Saturday to take on the men’s soccer team. The Bluejays are dominant in the attacking third, being held scoreless in only one game so far. As a first year member in the Big East, they have made a statement, starting out 2-0-1 in the conference, with wins over St. John’s and Xavier, along with a draw with Georgetown. Also, they consistently crack the top 10 in most rankings. This is Marquette’s toughest contest so far this season, and they cannot afford any slip-ups, because Creighton will take advantage of them.

Prediction: 2-1 Creighton

Volleyball: Marquette vs. Creighton, Sunday, Oct. 13, 1 p.m., D.J. Sokol Arena

Marquette faces its toughest match of the Big East season Sunday as it travels to Omaha, Neb. to battle Creighton. In the last showdown between the two foes, the Bluejays knocked the Golden Eagles out of the 2012 NCAA Tournament in the first round with a close but decisive sweep. Creighton’s 2013 season has not been without ups and downs. The team was picked to win the Big East preseason by the coaches and went 9-3 in the nonconference season. However, the Bluejays already lost a conference match when they dropped a five-setter at Butler Oct. 4. Kelli Browning, Creighton’s junior middle blocker from Waukesha, was selected as preseason co-player of the year in the conference and is averaging a dominant 1.43 blocks per set this year.

Prediction: Marquette in five sets

Women’s Soccer: Marquette vs. Georgetown, Sunday, Oct. 13, 1 p.m., Valley Fields

Marquette and Georgetown, both jockeying for first place in the Big East, will square off Sunday at Valley Fields. The match is anticipated to be the most crucial regular season contest for both teams, with Golden Eagles coach Markus Roeders hailing it as a “championship-type match.” The 4-0-0 Golden Eagles have a slight edge in the standings over the 3-0-1 Hoyas, whose lone draw in Big East action came at home versus DePaul. Marquette is unbeaten at home, but Georgetown possesses a perfect road record. Both teams will have had a full week to prepare, so the intensity will be high with rested legs on the pitch.

The defense will be enticing to watch, as Georgetown allowed multiple goals in only one match thus far, while Marquette has four. Additionally, Marquette has tallied five shutouts compared to Georgetown’s six. In what will be the probable matchup in the Big East Tournament title game, Marquette will have the upper hand based on its home field advantage and its momentum from an ongoing six-game winning streak.

Prediction: 2-1 Marquette