Report: ‘Catholic 7’ to keep Big East name

This weekend, the Marquette Golden Eagles face off against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish for what could now be the last time at the Bradley Center.

According to ESPN, DePaul, Georgetown, Providence, Marquette, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova will keep the Big East name and start their own conference in the fall of 2013.

The “Catholic 7” are still looking for other teams for that new conference. CBS Sports’ Jeff Goodman indicates that Xavier and Butler could be the only additions coming soon. If the Catholic 7 just add two more schools to start, the first basketball season in a nine-team conference would allow each team to play each other twice.

Creighton, Dayton, Richmond, and St. Louis remain options for a further expansion to 12 teams.

A new conference could change Notre Dame’s departure date to the Atlantic Coast Conference from 2014 to 2013. The Fighting Irish will reportedly consider one year with the Catholic 7 if entry into the ACC is not granted for 2013.

As far as football is concerned, the teams that will remain in the current Big East will reportedly get a new conference name and keep the automatic BCS bowl berth.

The Big East schools not in the Catholic 7 (Connecticut, Louisville and Cincinnati) will meet on Friday to discuss a financial settlement in which the Catholic 7 take the conference name with them. A possible departure date could be determined as well, with the seven leaving as early as this summer.

The move out was reportedly sped up by a possible FOX Sports television deal worth at least $3 million annually per school. The exit for the Catholic 7 would impact a $130 million deal between ESPN and the Big East.

Upon official exit from the Big East, the Catholic 7 will begin the search for their own commissioner.