The Whole Nine Yards: Week 7

A favorable matchup against Tennessee should give fantasy owners favorable numbers from Buffalo Bills’ quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick this week. Photo via nflpassers.com

By Zac Bellman

Special to the Tribune

QB:

Start:  Ryan Fitzpatrick (Buffalo) vs. Tennessee Titans – The Titans are 29th in the league in passing yards allowed, and in two home games this year, Fitzpatrick has thrown for six touchdowns. He is especially worth consideration if your regular starter is on a bye week.

Sit:  Alex Smith (49ers) vs. Seattle Seahawks – Smith struggled mightily in the face of a Giants pass rush that sacked him four times and pressured him into three interceptions. This week he faces a physical secondary that has held Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Sam Bradford and Cam Newton to a combined two touchdowns.

Sleeper Start: Bradford (Rams) vs. Green Bay Packers – Ideally the Rams would not like to get into a shootout with Aaron Rodgers, but the Packers only gave up 29 yards rushing to Arian Foster last week so it looks like Bradford will have to throw to keep his team in the game.

RB:

Start:  Doug Martin (Buccaneers) vs. New Orleans Saints – The Saints have given up the most fantasy points to running backs in the league this year with four of their five opponents this season rushing for at least 100 yards and a touchdown.

Sit:  BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Bengals) vs. Pittsburgh Steelers – Green-Ellis has not rushed for a touchdown since Week 3 and the Steelers defense has only given up one 100-yard rushing performance this season. The Bengals are also likely to trail and not have the opportunity to run.

Sleeper Start:  Fred Jackson (Bills) vs. Titans – Jackson seems to be back from his knee injury, rushing for a touchdown last week without the knee brace, which is a good sign. Bad news is he is in a time-share with C.J. Spiller. The good news is he gets more of the goal line opportunities than Spiller.

WR:

Start:  Randall Cobb (Packers) vs. Rams – The way Aaron Rodgers is playing right now, fantasy owners can take their pick between Jordy Nelson, James Jones or Cobb. If you have any of them go ahead and start them but Cobb had a season high 10 targets which resulted in seven catches for 102 yards.

Sit:  Miles Austin (Cowboys) vs. Carolina Panthers – Austin was only able to haul in two passes last week and the Cowboys found their running game against Baltimore. Tony Romo has been turnover prone so look for them to try more short passes and runs.

Sleeper Start:  Josh Gordon (Browns) vs. Indianapolis Colts – Quarterback Brandon Weeden and Gordon have hooked up for three touchdowns in the last two weeks and the Colts defense has allowed five passing touchdowns in the same span including two to Mark Sanchez last week.

Waiver pickups:

Add:  Felix Jones, Cowboys (Owned in 20 percent of Yahoo! leagues) – Starter DeMarco Murray left the game in Baltimore last week with a foot injury and the Cowboys have already ruled him out for Sunday.

Add:  William Powell, Arizona Cardinals (Owned in 31 percent of Yahoo! leagues) – Powell won the opportunity to start with a strong performance last week, rushing for 70 yards on 13 carries. The Cardinals will need to slow down the pass rush this week that has been brutal on Kevin Kolb. Whether Kolb or John Skelton starts, look for the Cardinals to establish the run.

Drop:  Ravens defense (Owned in 98 percent of Yahoo! keagues) – This may sound like blasphemy, but the Ravens reign of terror on defense is over. Losing linebacker Ray Lewis and cornerback LarDarius Webb for the season likely will spell doom when coupled with the injuries to linebacker Terrell Suggs and defensive lineman Haloti Ngata.